🏁 LE MIRAGE - An update.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love your Peugeot rebuild and modification. I love old steel 10 speeds. 27" x 1 1/4" wheels and tires are still readily available. You can also run 700c wheels in this frame with possibly a brake caliper change to a longer reach but maybe not. I'm very tall and like higher bars even on the larger frames. I don't use drop bars anymore. This is just a lovely old bike ready for many more miles of fun.

You have to admit, the old metal frame classic bikes are certainly much better then the new age carbon stuff coming out now...
Steel is real. The real disaster of all the new technology is how extremely pricey it is. I read somewhere that all this technology makes the Tour de France peloton 1mph faster on average than the same peloton 30 years ago. Way more money, 1mph. Guess I'll stick with much cheaper old used steel bikes that ride fast enough for me. I just realized this mouthy screed makes me sound like an old fuddy duddy.

Love your Peugeot rebuild and modification. I love old steel 10 speeds. 27" x 1 1/4" wheels and tires are still readily available. You can also run 700c wheels in this frame with possibly a brake caliper change to a longer reach but maybe not. I'm very tall and like higher bars even on the larger frames. I don't use drop bars anymore. This is just a lovely old bike ready for many more miles of fun.
Cheers!
I did briefly contemplate going to 700c because I could fit some small fenders with the 8mm extra clearance - but then, after all the time I spent repairing (sanding), restoring and polishing the Rigidas I 'had' to stick with them.
And they really are old school beautiful wheels - and the hubs spin perfectly with new balls and blue grease.

They gleam.
wheel.jpg

And the Weinmann brakes work pretty well with the new Kool Stop pads. I'd be sort-of fixing it till it breaks :)

And indeedy - I do really enjoy riding it - I nicked off work for an hour and went for a ride at lunchtime today too.

lunchtime.jpg

Steel is real. The real disaster of all the new technology is how extremely pricey it is. I read somewhere that all this technology makes the Tour de France peloton 1mph faster on average than the same peloton 30 years ago. Way more money, 1mph. Guess I'll stick with much cheaper old used steel bikes that ride fast enough for me. I just realized this mouthy screed makes me sound like an old fuddy duddy.
And to think, they snap carbon parts so easily and need to be replaced.

Latest posts

Back