šŸ LE MIRAGE - An update.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm stalled, waiting on parts, although some did come in today.
Bar ends and crank caps from Serbia. It's a cosmopolitan build this 'un.
105.jpg

106.jpg

And I got an old school pump from Sydney Vintage Bikes as well.

107.jpg

I'm stalled, waiting on parts, although some did come in today.
Bar ends and crank caps from Serbia. It's a cosmopolitan build this 'un.
How fitting for an international bike builders forum! :thumbsup:

1 vote here for the white pump. Everything is coming together on this beauty!

Diggin' the video updates....keep them coming!

Productive evening - cabling all done and even got in a short shakedown ride.
Shifting quite well for non-indexed vintage gears.
Front guard is rubbing and will need some fabrication - new bracket.
Steering head was too loose and clunky but that was an easy fix.
Otherwise it runs well.
Still got plenty of finishing to do.

113.jpg

112.jpg

114.jpg

I also got this way-cool tool / repair kit for it.

110.jpg

111.jpg

The weekend beckons for more production. .

And cheers Oddjob - white it will be.

I had to ditch the fenders today. With the duro tyres thereā€™s isnā€™t enough clearance on the rear. not quite giving up on them, but not looking good.

Last edited:
I had to ditch the fenders today. With the duro tyres thereā€™s isnā€™t enough clearance on the rear. not quite giving up on them, but not looking good.
Well, when racing, those vintage race bikes never had fenders on them. And yours is pretty 'racy'. :nod:

Well, when racing, those vintage race bikes never had fenders on them. And yours is pretty 'racy'. :nod:
True - but I am aiming for more of a 'vintage touring bike vibe' - ergo the saddle bag and pump etc.

The fenders won't offer much protection either so efficiency-wise it's no biggie - more about the look and bling. I have one more idea to try - then move on :cool:

I like the reverse tape wrap. Very clean and tidy. Leather seat pouch fits it perfectly!

NaTty RaT oN~!

That day when you think ... "yep, all that was worth it!"

Not quite finished. I don't like the bottle - but I have a re-pop 80's-style white one on the way.

aaa.jpg

122.jpg

123.jpg

133.jpg

Glad I waited for this to arrive - looks great and shifts fine.

129.jpg

Much soapy water needed to get that bead to seat properly.
130.jpg

Making your own graphics is easy if you have an inkjet or in my case a colour laser printer.
Print them on specialty gloss sticker paper - and then give them a coat of clear acrylic gloss - that aren't super tough - but good enough - and easily replaced.

131.jpg

Needs a few adjustments next - rear pads need toeing-in cause they squeal pretty badly and the front derailleur need a tweak. Getting close to done though. Confident enough that I packed up the work table - but not so confident that I folded up the work stand. :)

Pretty happy overall.
134.jpg

Beautiful build! Love that workshop picture, fits right in a "buildoff 18 calender" :grin:
Cheers.

Oddjob is right - the white pump works better.

I don't like as much seat post showing - but 6'4" ... and it's quite comfortable - or becoming so as I settle into it. I'm used to 10 or 11" rise on my BMX cruisers and BMX style builds - or 18" Apes on my Cruiser. But I'm digging the more aggressive stance with every mile I put on it.

136.jpg

137.jpg

138.jpg

Latest posts

Back