1891 (Scratch Built WBO2018)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The headset cups will fit, but headset inner races are 1" ID, quite a bit larger than most crank spindles. My plan right now is to use tubing that fits over the OD of the bb shell. That should give me the extra 5mm I need for the sealed bearings to fit and wont require a special spindle.
How will you keep the moped pedal shaft from moving left or right in the bottom brackets' cartridge bearings? Inner tubular sleeve maybe slid on the bb spindle that seats on the inner bearing races?

Basically the whole assembly will be shimmed so that once the cottered crank arm and the sprocket carrier are installed there won't be any room for side to side play. This is how it's done on a moped. Something like this probably.
ffhRKMY.jpg

Last edited:
I started cleaning up a coaster hub today in the off chance I have enough time to swap it out. Right now the wheel is set up for fixed gear, but I'd rather have a coaster brake. Just trying to get little things done while I wait for parts.
szqKdmU.jpg

Don't try this at home. I welded the hub up this morning and drilled it out with eight more holes this time. I drilled it freehand on the drill press so the result is pretty terrible.
WNfVmTg.jpg

2gULCTf.jpg

Then failure struck. The reason I used this hub and bothered with welding and drilling a 28h hub out to 36h is because it had a low flange that was very close to the stock hub so I could reuse the spokes. Unfortunately in building up the wheel the spokes bottomed out just as they started to come under tension. More parts to order!

Glad to see you getting back on this one

Just a quick text update. The bottom bracket is finished and the rear wheel is built and painted. Basically the final checklist of things to do: finish the rear dropouts, mount the front sprocket, front brake, rebuild pedals, touch up painting and final assembly. I'm cutting it close but it should be do-able.

Killer work man. Can't wait to see the finished pics

Latest posts

Back