1930's Elgin

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't wait to see what you come up with!L8 EM

what market did that come from?i hit as many auctions and fleas as i can in one week...phil

Strausstown car show/flea market..held every Sept. This one was bought for $10.00. Guy I bought it from said it came out of his father in laws barn. Some people looked at me like I was nuts for buying it as I carried it out of there....

we were going to go there,but went to sinking spring flea market and then to the womelsdorf car show.nice bike for cheap,that is a real good$$$ tank on the bike.

I decided to paint the Elgin. I'm taking Yeshoney's advice to do a repaint and then add damage. Here is the primered frame after many hours and a few beers. I'm working around the original frayed cloth tape on the top bar for the tank brackets, to keep it from looking restored.

Two Thumbs Up!

:) :D :) :D :) 8)

I got the frame painted, used House of Krylon gloss black. I didn't want to make it too nice, I left in the small dings & imperfections in the frame. The seat post & hardware are off the original bike, they have the look I am after, not too crusty but not too nice. I put the original rear fender to the side and will probably bob the one I have pictured. I'm not sure if I will try to repair the original fork & truss rod or find something else. Maybe a springer will be used if I find one. My inspiration for this build is a Reading Standard board tracker. They were made in Reading, Pa.

you might be able to repair the truss by taking a piece of tubing, maybe a couple inches long,with the inside diameter the same as the outside diameter of the truss and cutting the ends off the trusses ( :shock: ) then slide the tubing over and flatten the bottom part and drill an axle hole...maybe...

That Reading is SWEEEEEEEET! Your frame definitely has the basis for this replica! My eyes are glued on this project. If things get a little tuff or come to a slowdown, just remember Lil' Chainy is counting on you! :(
I'm really excited about seeing this done!

We use to play horseshoes with a guy who started his motorcycle racing carrer on a Reading boardtracker. He later went on to riding Indians, Hendersons, Harleys. When boardtracking dried up, he turned to flattracking.
Last we talked he was pushing 90 and still throwing horseshoes and winning most of the games in his division! So this is part of my reason for loving your selection so much! That and I just love Boardtrackers .... period!
Good luck in the buildoff!
Chainsaw

Thanks Chainsaw! That will help to keep me going! You are fortunate to have known that guy, wish I could have heard some of his stories about racing. Good luck in the buildoff!

Fury, I'll see if I can dig any info up on him and his bike. I can't remember his last name but if I see it, it will be obvious to me. We've been away from horseshoes for 3 or 4 years, but I don't believe he is still alive. I'll check with some of the other pitchers and go from there. Someone is bound to know how I can get us some info. Whatever I can dig up I'll pass along!

I know this isn't much of an update, I sandblasted the tank in a friends blast cabinet, same as I did with the frame. The tank is now painted and I found a pair of coke bottle grips I will use. Still havn't figured out what I will do for forks or wheels yet. I would use the original rims but I only have the rear wheel, the front rim was missing and I don't have one that matches it.

I found a set of rims in the garage I forgot I had, so I will use these for the Elgin. I also found an old rear hub off a JC Higgins. I'm trying to use stuff I have laying around to keep this thing low buck. Got the front wheel apart and sandblasted the rim, this will be my first attempt at respoking a wheel.

I'm not gonna make the deadline, still have to locate a few parts I need, but I will post pics when it's done. Lots of great bikes in this buildoff, it will be tough voting!

sorry to hear you wont make it :cry: was really looking forward to seeing this bike done!!!!!!!!! gonna be glad when you have time to post some completed pics..........seems like most of the ones i was looking forward to are gonna be after the build off!!! :x :x

361Fury said:
There are several things I am doing for the first time on this bike

good for you i know it is hard to do fresh things in the rat rod world but i applaud your efforts. cant wait to see this bike when done i know it will be right.

Latest posts

Back