1938 Roadmaster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this to be a 1938 Roadmaster. The old New Departure model D hub is smooth and works great. Fenders are smooth. Frame straight solid. Will make a great rider. I'm leaning to just oil it down and leave as is.

meja4e8a.jpg

uje4yny3.jpg

nymejaha.jpg

9y9yvumy.jpg

yqydeva4.jpg

What do u think. Leave as is OR restore??

1918 Ranger

I think it bears a striking resemblance to a 1940 ladies Roadmaster I just picked up. Basically identical condition. Nice find!
What's the serial number on it? The chainring is a '35/36 only piece, so I'd lean towards a '36 build on this bike since I think that was the year this double bar roadster frame was introduced.

DSCF4225.jpg

ratina said:
Oil her down, clean and regrease bearings. Looks like your crank is bent. Sweet bike though!
Plus 1 You can not create Pinta like that shame to lose it. :)

Phil(rms37) always dates these Roadmasters with the closesly spaced top tubes and inner paisley chainrings in the 35-36 range(37 if it has the other style of this chainring). Got one just like it, minus the chainring and any other original parts :?

IMG_0799.jpg

Road Master said:
That cast front fork was only used in 1936 - that's a keeper! Robert

I'll clear up a couple of things regarding early CWC production,

This bike is from the earliest CWC production in the fall of 1935. Although the earliest CWC bikes were made in 1935 they were referred to by the factory as 1936 model bikes.

There are some detail differences brought about by manufacturing changes that differentiate the earliest bikes 1935 and early 1936 from the later production of the same models. Beyond that, this same double-bar roadster model was produced with little change into probably late 1937. The "Flying Vee" forged crown fork on this bike was produced from the beginning of production through 1937. The same goes for the early style chain ring with smaller secondary paisleys; it is shown along with the later version in the 1937 catalog and was used into that year. By late 1937 the double-bar roadster was changed to accept a tank (no tank was produced to fit this style frame) by dropping the location of the lower top tube. It appears from the serial numbers I have collected that the tank and tank-less versions production may have overlapped for a short while.

Road Master said:
That cast front fork was only used in 1936 - that's a keeper! Robert

I'll add that I agree this bike is a keeper and as it is a great reference for early CWC production (minus the later bars and stem...the rack is also aftermarket) I would go along with greasing it up to ride and avoid any restoration work that would obscure the originality of the bike.

Just a suggestion - I have found that oiling them down (if you meant oiling the whole bike) kills the dry, natural look. Oiling them down turns them really dark and looks much worse, IMO. I did it to one of mine, and I hated it. I ended spraying starting fluid on it to dry up the oil. I have a CWC Pilot in similiar condition to yours and I left it alone. The rust hasn't gotten any noticebly worse since its out of the weather now. I put a wheelset on mine, and its about my favorite bike in my collection. I have the original rims and what's left of the original tires put up if I ever wanted to put them back on. When I take this one to car or motorcycle shows, it gets a ton of attention!

Picture004.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Just realized I had forgot the chain guard that came on the 35' Roadster. Was in the back of my truck.

Is it original to the bike?

Thanks
8y3uby3e.jpg

zutepajy.jpg

1918 Ranger

Well now determined its a 1935 Roadmaster Roadster.

Updated pics.
I've gone through the bearings and cleaned it up. Man, she rides so smooth and pulls so easy. Great configuration on the gears. Can't wait to put on the road.

Before
u6e2ysu9.jpg

After
uryhysa5.jpg

na9e8y6a.jpg

y9a9equz.jpg

Found some original Red paint in some places.

1918 Ranger

Latest posts

Back