1939 Schwinn DX, Pre-War

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Got this in a trade with a fellow bike Collector, and are Thrilled. Only thing not Original is the tires and tubes. Bike verified by local old time shop as a Pre War Skip Tooth Bike. Has Frt drum brake, Messinger Set, Stewart Werner Cadet Speedo, Skip Tooth Sprocket and matching hub, Rocket grips, really awesome head badge, and jeweled rear reflector!
adb4198eadbca882153581646df95bc6.jpg

5905a859ce34fb2d176c880340025582.jpg

dc8a2965f0f59627233afc22fce0ee11.jpg

7dc7d0504afa1b562e0db2f9201b1975.jpg

More pic's to come!

Wow, spectacular bike! The paint looks fantastic. Drums brakes, hanging tank and everything. A ladies bike I'd be proud to sport. Don't let anybody try and buy parts off it!

Jpromo said:
Wow, spectacular bike! The paint looks fantastic. Drums brakes, hanging tank and everything. A ladies bike I'd be proud to sport. Don't let anybody try and buy parts off it!
No worries, this one is staying together. This bike is to special to me to become a parts donor, I intend to clean it up a little more and take it to Vintage rides/events. Thanks!

Thanks all for your comments, its great to have a place to share intrests.
Here are a few more upclose pic's of the springer, rocket grips, and cadet speedo. Anyone got suggestions on a good way to clean up the neck,springer and bars that will not be to harsh! I've used SOS pads on some stuff before but have heard it can make the rust come back worse. Would like to get this stuff cleaned up as best as possible without having to have it replated. Thanks.
bf4e747b5916c47f1672aa6023ecadaa.jpg

d0d05d6fc5bd7fae43b69a7dd1d00c5d.jpg

bb2fa0a00f26b36da2eb37a38880f8b7.jpg

I have been using Wieman glass cook top cleaner and polish. It is made for glass stove tops. That and cheap pot scrub pads from the Dollar Store. After that WD 40 and fine steel wool. It cleans rust up nice. I buy it from WalMart pretty cheap. Somebody here mentioned it and I tried it, it works great. Leo

Those grips are awesome! I don't think I have ever seen a pair like that. 8)

Leobeerguy said:
I have been using Wieman glass cook top cleaner and polish. It is made for glass stove tops. That and cheap pot scrub pads from the Dollar Store. After that WD 40 and fine steel wool. It cleans rust up nice. I buy it from WalMart pretty cheap. Somebody here mentioned it and I tried it, it works great. Leo

works pretty well. wear some gloves. not too easy on the skin.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider replating anything that you have there...its only original once! :D

On chrome, I like to use PB Blaster with 0000 steel wool and then a final polish with Simichrome. And then a nice coat of wax on the rest. I bet that bike will turn out jewel-like. 8)

Leobeerguy said:

Hey Thanks, Guess I will take a trip Walmart tomorrow and do some shopping, Think I will take jerrykr advice and get some gloves too. Thanks all! Cliff

sleepy said:
Personally, I wouldn't even consider replating anything that you have there...its only original once! :D

On chrome, I like to use PB Blaster with 0000 steel wool and then a final polish with Simichrome. And then a nice coat of wax on the rest. I bet that bike will turn out jewel-like. 8)

Hi Sleepy, Thanks for your advice, I have PBBlaster and 0000 steel wool already. I have 3 tank bikes that need attention, think I can try both options and see what I like the best. With the bike being as original as it is I don't want to do anything to mess that up, just pounding the replate idea but you are right they are only original once! Cliff

The hanging tank with the upside down wing graphics were seen in '39 and '40. The curly que graphics on the frame came out in late '40 and '41. If I were a betting man, I'd say that's a '40 model. Whether a '39 or a '40 makes little difference, it's a nice bike and a survivor. Gary

Latest posts

Back