1946 Columbia?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

carpecaligo

Hello everyone!
I'm new to the site and to bicycle maintenance, but this forum has been a wealth of knowledge.

I didn't put this in "what have I got?" because based on the serial number [m85261] I'm fairly confidant It's from 1946. I have not been able to find another example of one on the internet though.

I bought it off craigslist because I fell in love with the look of it, It actually fits a diminutive lady of 5"3 (which is harder to find than you'd think) and I wanted to lessen my reliance on the DC metro. It is also a beast - I couldn't tell you how much it weighs but it is making me strong!

The guy who sold it to me said that it is all original and everything in working order except the rocket-shaped light on the front wheel. (it's busted, rusted, screws are stripped so I can't remove it.) The pedals are pretty crummy and the seat, while in surprisingly good condition, needs a squashy cover or something because I can't keep walking around like a saddlesore cowboy.
Bike shop guy thinks that the chain isn't made any more and warned me to be extra careful with it because I'm not going to find another one at a reasonable price - but i'd be curious to know what kind of chain it is.
The rear hub is a Bendix Morrow [P2 36-13] and I would love to know what kind of maintenance is required here.
I wish I had close-ups for you but my camera is busted. I'm working on it. Anything you can share about this model, maintenance, appraisal, or opinion would be awesome.
Thanks!

fattire.jpg

Latest posts

Back