1948 Hawthorn: The Claymore

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to say thanks to everyone that has made a contribution, large or small, to RRB. The RRB community totally ROCKS! Thanks also to my wife and son who have encouraged and supported my growing obsession, despite her ambivalence to my color scheme and vision.

I have been thrilled by this build and might be addicted! While this project is by no means finished, I am stoked to be able say that The Claymore is a totally awesome ride--in some ways the best of my modest herd. Horn and light both function but battery packaging remains to be assembled and put in tank. The head-badge has been stripped of the primer left by a previous owner, but needs to be detailed and re-affixed. Other detailing includes matching paint on pedal blocks and striping the bobbed fender.

IMG_0305.jpg

I might also consider a stubby version of the front fender:
IMG_0311.jpg

The gold KMC chain matches the brazings but is still a bit muted:
IMG_0312.jpg

Brass head-badge will add some color here. I don't know what is up with the haze...
IMG_0300.jpg

Had a little bit of slippage on the rear hub at about the 4 mile mark. Nothing an 11/16'' deep-well can't fix.
IMG_0299-1.jpg

Sorry, almost no "Before" pics other than those posted in RRBO4 remain after a mistaken cleansing of the camera's memory card. Wish I had one of those "pile of parts" shots, but imagine everything except the tank and wheels in primer grey. Thanks for looking and I'll catch you later.

Thanks! I may have to do something about the seat though... I don't have much in the way of natural padding and have been inspired by some of the upholstry jobs I have seen here.

that springer fork rocks! i've always wanted one of those. you've built a great looking bike! well done!

Brass head-badge will add some color here. I don't know what is up with the haze
Didn't you know? ...the haze in the pic are the ghosts connected to the old bike :shock: :shock: :shock: ...don't worry they just wanted to get in the picture because its an awsome bike :shock: :shock: :D

vibr8shun said:
Brass head-badge will add some color here. I don't know what is up with the haze
Didn't you know? ...the haze in the pic are the ghosts connected to the old bike :shock: :shock: :shock: ...don't worry they just wanted to get in the picture because its an awsome bike :shock: :shock: :D

Yeah! Ancient old hotrodspirits you get for free with each part you get for your build... Just wait until midnight and keep the camera snapping!
;-)

herr_rudolf said:
Yeah! Ancient old hotrodspirits you get for free with each part you get for your build... Just wait until midnight and keep the camera snapping!
;-)
:shock: :shock: :shock: Why did you say that :shock: now I'm scared my bike has a ghost!!! :shock: :shock: :D

vibr8shun said:
herr_rudolf said:
;-)
:shock: :shock: :shock: Why did you say that :shock: now I'm scared my bike has a ghost!!! :shock: :shock: :D

Don't worry... Most of them bikespirits are good. It's the special added parts that'll bring evil. As long as you stay off of the driftwood, cut-off bodyparts, not to mention sacred tiki-idols your save... MUHA-HA-Haaaaa...
Just five more minutes till midnight for me...

Why do I get the urge to build a Dr Venkman themed bike now..?

Well thanks everybody--it has been so much fun watching everybody's builds!! and no doubt there are spirits about these parts!!

Why do I get the urge to build a Dr Venkman themed bike now..?

Now that is hilarious! Anybody up for a Gatekeeper build?

Latest posts

Back