1949 Huffman Airflyte update of Restoration

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This 49 Huffman belonged to Robert Trent of Jefferson City TN. It was his childhood bike and had it 62 years until I bought it from him last year. I don't think I ever posted it to Fresh Finds so here it is:

He told me stories of traveling 20 mile round trips to visit his sick sister over a two month span. Super nice gentlemen. Was very sad to see it leave but encouraged that I would restore it

Here's before and after. I researched the paint schemes and had NBHAA confirm this paint scheme as an original to this bike model.

8y5usenu.jpg

avememu3.jpg

daraqe3a.jpg

y8ahu5yv.jpg

Finally got around to restore it.

Nearly complete. Still have my H shield stenciling and head badge to do to complete. Springer is smooth as silk. Can't wait to ride.

5ehyza9y.jpg

qusutebu.jpg

ytysy3e5.jpg

e2eta2ym.jpg

y5agasy7.jpg

1918 Ranger

Normally I don't like the look of restored bikes, but I have to admit, you just made me eat those words. This bike is gorgeous. The paint scheme you chose is phenomenal. I remember seeing this bike before, so maybe you did post it when you found it? He's going to be very happy his bike found a good home.

Nicest resto job I've seen on this forum lately. Hang on tight to that one, there'll be a line trying to pry it away from you! Gary

Super looking bike!!! Nice work!

Hard to tell when they are old and grungie what the colors really looked like.
Super job on yours. Maybe someday I will do mine.
DSCF0005-4.jpg

Well I had promised Robert the original owner pics of the Airflyte and I emailed them Saturday. Late that night I get a secret email from his wife asking me if I'd consider selling it back to them and that Robert did not know she was asking.

He's 78 and this was his childhood bike.

I invested a lot and held nothing back in this restore. I restored it with all intentions of keeping in my collection. What a dilemma!! What would you guys do??

1918 Ranger

Personally, I would sell it back to him. I can only imagine if I were ever to be presented with a restoration of my actual childhood bike in the twilight of my life...it would probably be the thrill of the century. :D And you never know, he may pass it back to you in his will. :wink:

Not a good problem to have. Add up every nickel you put into the bike and shoot the wife a price. I'm sure that will scare her off...unless they're RICH! :p Gary

Latest posts

Back