1950s Hercules cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like someone backed over it in the driveway. Even if it can't be made right, it would be a nice frame to hang on the wall.

With lots of patience, and tools like these, a good outcome can be achieved. Do you have a bike co-op nearby? I don't know anyone who owns these uncommon and pricey gadgets personally, but my local co-op comes to the rescue when they're needed. We've been known to ruin a frame or two, so think twice--bend once. Practice on a junk Magna, perhaps?

Frame_Tools_7.jpg

With lots of patience, and tools like these, a good outcome can be achieved. Do you have a bike co-op nearby? I don't know anyone who owns these uncommon and pricey gadgets personally, but my local co-op comes to the rescue when they're needed. We've been known to ruin a frame or two, so think twice--bend once. Practice on a junk Magna, perhaps?

Frame_Tools_7.jpg
I don't have access to any of that, My plan is to heat up the bends and put an axle with nuts and washers in the dropouts and crank it out.

I don't have access to any of that, My plan is to heat up the bends and put an axle with nuts and washers in the dropouts and crank it out.

Remember that just getting the space between the dropouts correct doesn't necessarily make the outcome centered. The key to having a square frame is to run a straight-edge between the head tube and seat tube, then compare the rear triangle offset side-to-side. Left and right measurements should be identical. That's what the long black tool at the top of the photo does.

In an ideal world, each dropout would be adjusted by bending them relative to a central spine, rather than exerting force upon each other. That's what a fancy frame jig does. Hmmm...on this, I must ruminate.

Latest posts

Back