1952 S-4 Schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd56

It's all about the tanklights
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
No Whizzer motor kit but a sweet find.

attachment.php

Sweet Find Indeed ! Mmmmmmmm Schwinn :thumbsup:

~RafaeL~

Seriously? That's a smoking find John. A less common color combo too. You sure they're S-4s? I've heard those were only on tandems of the period. But I digress.. nice bike.

S-4 whizzer frame. With heavyduty spoked S2s painted rims.
Not S4 rims

yge2esam.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

This one's kind of a mind boggler. I wouldn't think this would have originally been a Whizzer. They wouldn't have come equipped with a Schwinn tank and this bike sure doesn't look pieced together. Forebrake was an option that could be added for extra dough, though. And I believe all forebrakes used HD spokes.

A few more pictures would help, but a Whizzer frame would have a large notch on the non-drive side of the fender as well as an indent in the inside of the seat stay for the drive belt. You'd also notice obvious marks where the engine clamps were mounted.

Though, I don't know what 1952 cantilever tank model would come equipped with the standard guard. Serial on the dropout? It's an awesome bike regardless, I just love delving into mysteries.

Jason, from what I gather from the catalog posted above of the "S-4" Whizzer "option" frame that was made between 1947 through 1953 ( as per Geoff's Heavyweight Schwinn reference book ) "The S-4 used 26" wheels and a standard heavyweight frame with some slight modifications, to improve belt clearances", hence the mention of "special crimps" in the rear triangle of the frame. As well as notched rear fenders. He also says " ...and in this way can be differentiated from the standard heavyweight frame of the same era". But this frame "S-4" model was a standard 26" frame and was able to accommodate the Whizzer motor kits. An add on option.
So the S-4 models could be equipped from the retailer with the horn tank.

I for one, may have passed on this true survivor, if it was one without the horn tank and the 24" rimmed S-10 model.
I have no intention at this time to add the Whizzer motor, and this frame never had one installed. But, if the desire is there to install the kit, the frame is so equipped to allow the accessory.

Here is a more pictures of the bike and some showing the factory notched frame stays and fender for the belt clearance. Also the rear heavyduty brake arm, and the fore brake hub.

8e2aja5a.jpg

pyquhupe.jpg

3yhuny3y.jpg

zymapebe.jpg

yze6azu2.jpg

ba9e7y2u.jpg

uru2uqyj.jpg

uza5eny3.jpg

3y4uvyqa.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting findings! I never would have guessed they sold a Whizzer bike without the Whizzer motor but that explains everything. I guess it would amount to a heavy duty or utility bicycle. Noticing the need, they added the Wasp model in '52. I think you got a good deal on it too. I still don't see the opposite side pictures but I can see the Whizzer brake arm through the frame now.

Cheers!

Maybe these pictures are a little better.

a6y9u8ys.jpg

ba3a5u4u.jpg

Man, I love this bike. I suspected it was earlier than '52 though and it indeed is. I'd say it's an early-mid 1948 bike. The serial on the BB signifies pre-52 and the number can be partially tracked backwards from the late '48 numbers that were after the fire. 1947 would have had drop center rims so 1948 seems most plausible. It even looks like you may have non-knurled rims? Sign of first year S-2s.

Man, I love this bike. I suspected it was earlier than '52 though and it indeed is. I'd say it's an early-mid 1948 bike. The serial on the BB signifies pre-52 and the number can be partially tracked backwards from the late '48 numbers that were after the fire. 1947 would have had drop center rims so 1948 seems most plausible. It even looks like you may have non-knurled rims? Sign of first year S-2s.

That's weird as the bike was given to this man in 1952 as a Xmas present. He mentioned that his dad bought it new. Not a hand me down from the 1948 stock.
I agree that the serial number info regarding placement on the BB was prior to 1952. With the latter being on the dropout.
Its frustrating when a newbie like myself with Schwinns can't figure it all out with what research material we have at our disposal.
Old catalogs and ads that have been collected over the years by the gurus like grennphantom (Geoff) which I got my info from. Before last week I knew very little about the whizzer and even less by the Dynacycle.
Like the 1952 catalog page above.

So please someone enlighten me and help understand what year I have here. I respect yours and everyone's imput . But I truly believe this is a 1952 with a rare BB stamping.....maybe that info is incorrect, please school me.
I do appreciate your thoughts an respect your experience Jason.

Last edited:
I don't know enough about Whizzers to make any sure statements about them or how they were constructed either. I'm just having fun doing detective work and what-ifs. I know there were assembly days that were dedicated to the specialty frames like cycle-trucks, days for Whizzers, days for tandems. I can't imagine they'd change the jig to stamp them differently but weird things crop up.

Also remember you're talking to this guy about something from 60 years ago. I know some of the old timers are sharper than I, but I couldn't tell you if my Ninja Turtles playset was in the christmas of '92 or '94. In the end, it doesn't really make any difference because that playset was awesome.

How about them S-2s though? Any knurling?

The only thing I can add is it has 1/2" truss rods instead of 3/8". That would put it earlier rather than later. I think they changed the rods to 3/8" in '53 or so. Really nice find. Gary

JP...the rims are non knurled.

gery3yqa.jpg

Still not sold on it...but its a good theory I guess.
I'd love for this to be a 1948 rather than a 1952 but, the evidence is pushing it to earlier isn't it?

A specialized or higher priced model could easily sit on the dealers floor for several years, possibly eventually discounted on the spot to get it gone.

Now this would make a bit more since. Leftover showroom model and yet sold as new.
JP has made some interesting points on deciphering the plausible manufacturing year.
Serial number location, non knurled S2s....but why doesn't the serial number come up in the pre 1952 database that we have at our disposal.
As much as there is with the serial number sequences listed throughout the public's view ability this "C" prefix number is just not there. Some 50000 number are listed but, they are cycletrucks serials.
You'd think the numbers would be there.

Still when it's all said and done, it's a great looking bike, and I'm excited to have found it.
I was told to call the Whizzer expert at Memory Lane to see if he can decipher the serial#. Now I just need to make the call. I would like to know exactly when it was built.

If you look at the 1948 serial list, it starts in August (because of the great fire in the records room). In August, they were on D serials. Earlier in the year, you can assume they had been at C. But the records from 1948 January to July, along with all previous records were lost in the fire. It's widely agreed that Schwinn started back at A partway through 1946.

I do like the idea that this could have easily gone unsold for a couple years. It's an odd model and I doubt many were made. Also, they were probably a hard sell because they would have been more expensive considering the specialty parts but had no flash, which was making a postwar comeback (the Phantom came out in 1949).

Also, this model would have been more of a bike for a grown man to purchase as a means of utility. But there was the postwar automobile boom and bicycles fell out of favor for adult and utilitarian use and became geared towards kids and teens.

I think we're making progress here!

The odd serial number would suggest that it's most likely a late 1990's reproduction. I'd be willing to take it off your hands though cause it's still a decent looking Chinese knock off.

Send me an email, we'll talk.;)

Latest posts

Back