1952 (serial number) Corvette ...soon to be wife's custom

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Got this nice piece the other day. Wife wanted a bike to match my RED WHITE & BLUE bike so i got her this. Now it's time to move it over to the BUILD section and start the transformation.

IMG_1052_zps2ec7c616.jpg

IMG_1055_zpsff9edda4.jpg

IMG_1053_zpsacb6e83c.jpg

IMG_1057_zps998a95e8.jpg

Re: 50's Corvette...soon to be wife's custom

Great start for a project! :wink:

Re: 1953 (serial number) Corvette...soon to be wife's custom

What's the number? Schwinn didn't make middleweights until '54. The chainguard on that bike is no older than '60 when they switched to that style. I'd bet your serial number starts with a letter followed by either a 0, a 1, or a 2. Also, the original stainless fenders have been replaced with chrome and Corvettes didn't come with springers. Still a good solid bike for anything you want to make it into. Gary

B607 said:
What's the number? Schwinn didn't make middleweights until '54. The chainguard on that bike is no older than '60 when they switched to that style. I'd bet your serial number starts with a letter followed by either a 0, a 1, or a 2. Also, the original stainless fenders have been replaced with chrome and Corvettes didn't come with springers. Still a good solid bike for anything you want to make it into. Gary

Sorry..meant to say 1952 Serial number is # E032887 so from the Schwinn Serial number id section it should be a 52. Im sure the bike has parts on it that not belong or go with that bike. Im NOT one of the TRUE bike collectors that really cares if a bike is CORRECT. 90% of the time i will completely redo the bike anyway. Im not into TRUE vinatge mostly because these bikes that have flipped handle bars and all the LOOK really uncomfortable to ride. Im not sure how most of these bikes i see on here can even be ridden. COmfort is FIRST..then how it looks..then ..well lets ride.

Thanks for the heads up on the wrong year.

naturephotoboy3 said:
B607 said:

Sorry..meant to say 1952 Serial number is # E032887 so from the Schwinn Serial number id section it should be a 52. Im sure the bike has parts on it that not belong or go with that bike. Im NOT one of the TRUE bike collectors that really cares if a bike is CORRECT. 90% of the time i will completely redo the bike anyway. Im not into TRUE vinatge mostly because these bikes that have flipped handle bars and all the LOOK really uncomfortable to ride. Im not sure how most of these bikes i see on here can even be ridden. COmfort is FIRST..then how it looks..then ..well lets ride.

Hey bud cool ride! What Gary is saying is all true but schwinn also used the same serial numbers twice a few overlapped from the 50s and 60s schwinn didnt make middleweights until 54 (in the 55 catalog) but your serial number also comes up at may 16 1960. Not that it matters it's just cool to know.

Ty

Tychevelle said:
naturephotoboy3 said:
B607 said:

Hey bud cool ride! What Gary is saying is all true but schwinn also used the same serial numbers twice a few overlapped from the 50s and 60s schwinn didnt make middleweights until 54 (in the 55 catalog) but your serial number also comes up at may 16 1960. Not that it matters it's just cool to know.

Ty

The whole serial number thing is very cool. I think it is amazing that there is so much info still available after all these years. And after all these years im sure parts are changed a million times on these bikes

Wow, first of all I love the Vette! I got a 56' Vette that I am working on myself and still be needing to get picts up. Anyways, allow me to weigh in on what year your Vette is. In 54', Schwinn introduced the Corvette and retained factory colors of red, blue, green or matte black. I believe a brown seat was used untill 57' which introduced the two tone Schwinn seat and the bend of the handlebars was changed around then too. Then next update was in 59' which added the Schwinn "S" seat and a deluxe color and chrome chainguard (just like yours...) with little to no change untill I think 62' or 63' when a 5speed version was introduced and I think the last year of production for the Corvette was 64'.

Bottom line, I really dig your 1960 Schwinn Corvette! :wink:

CRASH said:
Nicely done, and so quick!

quick yes..but it tends to take its toll on me..ha ha i have a serious problem about starting things and working continuous until done. Guess thats why my body is failing daily from abuse. It was a fun build. Im still waiting on a couple last parts to ad. My wife got to ride it today and loved every second..AND THE HORN WORKS :D

Latest posts

Back