1953 CHEVY TRUCK WINTER PROJECT NEW PIC 1/26

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just picked up a 1953 chevy 3100 pickup. it has the original straight 6 in it. thinking of doing a 283 v8 swap. can someone shed some light on this? i will get some pics tomorrow posted. it is going to be a complete resto/custom/not sure? :D project. needs the usual, cab corners, floors, etc. it is a five window with all good glass so that is a plus.

Re: 1953 CHEVY TRUCK ENGINE SWAP?

murraymadman said:
just picked up a 1953 chevy 3100 pickup. it has the original straight 6 in it. thinking of doing a 283 v8 swap. can someone shed some light on this? i will get some pics tomorrow posted. it is going to be a complete resto/custom/not sure? :D project. needs the usual, cab corners, floors, etc. it is a five window with all good glass so that is a plus.

Should be pretty straightforward as engine swaps go...Smallblock for an inline 6, common, and there's plenty of room there to do it. Any particular reason you want to go w/ a 283 and not a 350?

The biggest problem will be steering box clearance. My Dad has a 54 with a small block in it. He put a reversed Corvair steering box in it. I've seen guys notch the top frame rail and move the box over. Of course you will need to change the tranny and rearend. When you put a late model rearend in it, the rear wheels won't be centered in the fenderwells. You will need to make a bracket to move the wheels back, or buy a spring kit. My Dads has a 350 turbo tranny, and a 57 Chevy rearend. Good luck, Dean

is it a babbet pounder or full pressure?
if its full pressure id keep it just for the sake of being different.......
if youre going to try to get the most speed out of it for the lowest cost id go for a belly button(aka 350) block
now post some pics!!

not sure if it is a babbet or pressure yet. i guess the 283 sounds neat because it is a little different than alot of others i have seen. it seems like everyone has a 350 in everything, they are bullet proof but i want something a little different. the local race car engine builder built a 283 and put it in is 1989 chevy astro van and it is putting out 230hp! that's right, in an astro van!!! :D pretty cool grocery getter. after seeing that, i just thought that would be neat. will post some pics this evening.

There is a company called Clifford that specialized in modifying 6 cylinder engines to get them near V8 power. Your truck may have a 235ci or a 250ci six. If it's still in decent shape you could build it up and keep the present tranny and rearend if they are in good shape also. My younger brother added an intake and headers for dual exhaust on his 67 Chevy 4x4 with a 250ci six. It wasn't a 350, but It had good power and torque and sounded different than a 6 with a loud muffler. People couldn't figure out what was in there by listening.

http://www.cliffordperformance.net/Merc ... _Code=C235

Re: 1953 CHEVY TRUCK ENGINE SWAP? WITH PICS NOW!

here is some pics of her! let me know what you think.. not chance of me getting bored this winter now!! :lol: :shock:
DSCF9138.jpg
DSCF9139.jpg
DSCF9140.jpg
DSCF9141.jpg
DSCF9142.jpg

Re: 1953 CHEVY TRUCK WINTER PROJECT

A truck like that begs for 3.73 gears and a .030" over 292 with an Offy manifold and 650 cfm. Should handle most on the street? Thanks!!!

cashman said:
A truck like that begs for 3.73 gears and a .030" over 292 with an Offy manifold and 650 cfm. Should handle most on the street? Thanks!!!

292 would be a Y block Ford, unless there's another 292 out there I haven't heard of.

Oh, my dad has a '54 Bel Air convertible, w/ the 235 inline 6..He has a Clifford intake on it with a big 2 barrel carb, and a Fenton split manifold so it can run dual exhausts. It doesn't run too bad for an old 6.

My 1960 F100 had the "wide block" 292.

The 292 is also the biggest inline six Chevy made. Loads of low end torque. My brother wanted to use one of those but couldn't find one at the time. His 250 did great, he would uncap the headers and we would go around the neighborhood sounding like a WW2 aircraft.

Good luck on your project truck!!! Back in the 1960's and 70's, there was a local 3/8 mile dirt track that ran three classes of race cars every Saturday night during the summer. There was street, hobby, and modified. The hobby class allowed quickchange rearends, adjustable suspension and a modified inline six. The faster six's could almost always equal or better the qualifying times of many of the big block V8 modifieds on the 3/8 mile track. They discontinued the hobby class a couple of years after the roller cams came out and everyone went to small block V8's Thanks!!!

hey cashman, funny you posted that reply! i talked to a local oldtimer who has a 261six that is bored .030 over, and is running a corvette cam. it is not complete, but he has a 235 that has everything it needs to make complete! :D this is one he used to run back in the day of the dirt tracks! should be interesting. oh yeah, the truck comes in the garage this week. finishing up insulating the walls before winter comes. :cry:

Re: 1953 CHEVY TRUCK WINTER PROJECT UPDATE 1/11

i was told they were used in alot of the ups delivery trucks. also told they won't bolt up to the stock tranny in this truck. :(
cashman said:
ChadB said:
292 would be a Y block Ford, unless there's another 292 out there I haven't heard of.

Chevy built lots of 292 ci inline 6's.

http://www.stoveboltengineco.com

If it has the original bellhousing, it may not? I think all the '55 ups had a different mounting face on the engine. I know on the 1960's models there were many six's swapped out for V8's and they used the same bellhousings. Thanks!!!

got the truck pulled into the garage yeserday. thought i was going to use my riding mower, not!!!! :D the old girl had a rear brake hanging on her so i had to use the new holland 4x4. can't wait to get tearing into her. get this, a buddy of mine gave me a outside sun visor for it! :D hope to get the motor out and the bed off this week, then off comes the cab!

Well I would hate to see the six go too...love them. Ever see a 6 with a blower on it coming out the drivers side of the hood....but heres a site if you dont know about it that these guys will help you build it up to one mean 6 banger....
http://www.stoveboltengineco.com/
later Terry

got started on the truck this past couple of weeks. got the doors off, seat, tank, steering column out. the cowl is the worst part on both sides, thank god for lmc truck!!! the cab and bed come off starting tomorrow! :D
DSCF9245.jpg

Latest posts

Back