1953 Schwinn Rat Project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gWebber

Old School Schwinn’s Rule
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up this Schwinn that was listed as a 53' Typhoon .. Well the Serial number checks out as a 53' Chicago, but as far as I know they didn't make Typhoons in 53'.

image_zpsc46b8ef0.jpg

Stem was stuck in the fork big time, 3 days of PB Blaster and then some heat and it still took a good amount of force to get it out. Someone had torqued down the stem nut so tight it broke the wedge it two and bulged and split the steer tube!

image_zpsebd068a3.jpg

Closeup of steer tube.

image_zps46dee61d.jpg

Bike didn't have wheels so I picked up some nice rims with a Nexus 3 Speed and some cheap brickyard tires for now. This is just a MockUp shot, I need to find a replacement fork, stem and headset (not easy to do in San Francisco anymore).

Right now my big problem is do I want to build a Lowriding Rat Cruiser with Ape Hangers or go the Klunckers style route which might be more practical in the city.

image_zps5b4ffedb.jpg

I've been search eBay for parts, but most people think they are selling gold, $ 40 or so for a simple rusty blade fork just seems excessive to me.

Anyway, this is my project so far, hope to get it road worthy soon.

Nice project.

The Typhoon came out in 62 I believe. The chain guard and sprocket look like Typhoon parts on a older frame. The name shows through on the guard. The difference would be 5 numbers in the serial vs 6.

Wildcat said:
Nice project.

The Typhoon came out in 62 I believe. The chain guard and sprocket look like Typhoon parts on a older frame. The name shows through on the guard. The difference would be 5 numbers in the serial vs 6.

Yes as far as I know Typhoon was 62' and later. Serial Number on this is A52131 which should be Sept of 53'
Chassis is a total "put together" Typhoon chain guard, "S" seat is 59' to 70's, chain wheel is any number of years and models, stem was all wrong too. That's kinda why the sell didn't really know what it was and even parted out I got it pretty cheap.

Is the number on then dropout, or bottom bracket? On the dropout would be 1953, if on the bottom bracket could be 1946 or 1952

Latest posts

Back