1958 Schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
toms_schwinn1.jpg

This is a friends 1958 Schwinn I helped with a couple of years ago.

Yessirree! That's one very black bike. I like it.

Looks like an S-2 on the back and an S-7 on the front?

Cool stuff

-Mp

:D Very nice Joe, you can't go wrong with that color
combination. You gotta love that Electra stuff for
pullin it all together, I wish more companies made
those Hot Rod style seats.

Thanks guys.
Actually the bike is powder coated "Saphire Black" which is a really dark blue. As you can see even the bars, gooseneck, crank and seat post were powder coated also. I do think the hubs and spokes are black though. The sprocket is aluminum and had some kind of design on it that he sanded off and then clear coated. Has a neat swirl effect to it from the sanding.
If I recall the rims are each just standard 26" not Schwinn. Tires are 26x1.25 back, and I think a 26x1.75 front.
For some reason I recall we chopped and put the front fender on the back.
I think the frame and maybe the gooseneck are the only original parts. The forks come off another bike.
toms_schwinn2.jpg

I love that thing!

Very nice work...the color combo is great. My only small humble suggestion would be to paint the Schwinn badge red and have the letters and trim be black. Maybe a sign painter could repaint that original badge since they seem to have a steady hand.

aka_locojoe said:
I like the headbadge idea.
If anybody hasn't visited my site before (see link in signature) I recommend checking out my friends bikes listed there. They've done some pretty neat things with old cruisers.

I agree...go check out Randy's site...very cool stuff there! 8)

Back