196? Coppertone Collegiate

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked this up tonight. I didn't have a bike like this yet and I liked the color and the price. Should clean up nice. Lights work!

photo_zps40ae4f58.jpg

Watch out! RatRod Steve will be after that one. Looks like it's right up his alley. Nice bike. Post a pic after you detail it just to make RatRod and jhender squirm. :p Gary

One of my favorites. I've had a '65 Collegiate for years, an Ebay find that ended up being local to me. I've ridden it hundreds of miles and I love it.

Yours looks like someone outfitted it like a Traveler. They are very similar in frame design and many other parts.

If you post the serial number we can tell you more about when it was made. There are many other date codes hidden on these bikes as well.

Mine came with black grips, but I found a set of coppertone ones like you have, and I think they look much better in keeping with the color of the bike. I liked it so much I decided to build a twin in Violet, so now I have a '67 as well.

Great find, have fun with it! Of course if you need anything for it, feel free to ask- the WAnted ads are a great resource here.

--Rob

Thanks guys. The members of RRB have always been so cool and helpful. It definitely appears to be a deluxe collegiate. I have to get the speedo working. I like the white walls on the bike in that link. Thanks for throwing it up here. Does anyone know if im going to be able to find white walls for the rims? Are they like the S7s on my typhoon where I have to purchase Schwinn specific tires to fit the rims? They are 26 x 1 3/8. Until I joined RRB I never would have considered a bike like this. I only joined to get information to custom build my typhoon. Since I have bought two worksman news boys and I'm actually still actively building one in the BO7 thread (what are my chances of winning?) :oops: I already have plans for the second build, and now restoring this bike. I guess you could say this site has turned me into a bike nut. So thanks, I like it.

photo5-2.jpg

photo-4.jpg

Latest posts

Back