1962 Schwinn American Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New member here. I bought a 1962 Schwinn at a yard sale 20 years ago and never did anything with it. Rusty rims, broken spokes. Rattlecan paint job, missing chan guard. I started riding a few years ago and bought my first vintage bike, a minty Schwinn Suburban 10 speed with a working genset. I kind of forgot about the American until a few day ago, when a buddy gave me a pair of vintage Westwind tires. Googling, I realized that I need more moden rubber for my kid to be safe. I found a donor 1979 Hollywood that had good rubber and rusty rims and chrome fenders that responded well to steel wool and PB Blaster. A few hours of wrenching and cleaning, the results are below. I need a chain guard, preferably black or chrome.

Also, the old wheels and single speed hub cleaned up well, but need a few spokes replaced and trued. These are pretty straight and ready to ride after cleaning.

The Schwinn chrome is amazing stuff.

Thats true about the Schwinn chrome. I have had some utterly rusty shwinn chrome parts (bars, rims ect.) that came out way better than expected after cleaning.

nice bike!

Latest posts

Back