1964 Schwinn American

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
photo_zpsk2iv40d6.jpg

I found this on my local Craiglist yesterday and they want $160 OBO for it. I was thinking of offering $100if they still have it. What ya'll think?

The forks are bent back slightly. An easy fix, but still they aren't perfect. The upper fork blades should be in a straight line with the head tube. It also looks like there may be a little damage to the front rim, by the tire bead. See if both wheels roll true. How do they know it's an American with the paint gone? It has dinged up fenders too. It depends how long it's been for sale too. It's not that rare if they think that's a selling point. Schwinn made thousands of those bikes. A 64 model will have serial number on the left dropout and start with a letter followed by numbers. The letter will corresponding with the month (A is January, B is February etc). The first number is the last digit of the year, so a 64 will have a 4 as the first number.
If it rides well and the wheels are true, $100 would be a decent price. Any other problems and it won't be worth your while.

Yeah not sure how they know it's an American unless they looked up a picture on the googles or what? LoL
Or they've been watching American Pickers and think they have Gold in they're possession...

I thought the chain guard was wrong, but after checking the catalog, it's the right one for a deluxe American, not the standard American which had a different style guard. Yours originally came with a slimline tank. The front carrier came with the Deluxe version, but could have been added later, but with the chain guard, also may prove it's a Deluxe American.

4pyrgn.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back