1967 Schwinn Fastback

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Pinched myself when I found this bike today for a hundred bucks which was made in 1967. Downside is that it has been painted and the seat, sissy bars, and ram handlebars are not original. Still a really cool find at a really good price.

What do you guys think?

IMG_0650.JPG
IMG_0651.JPG
IMG_0652.JPG
IMG_0653.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seat and sissy bar are not original, but the handlebars do look like the correct schwinn ramshorn bars under the wrapping. Loosen the stem and pull the handlebars to the side and it should say "Schwinn ramshorn" on them. Looks like a customized 1967 fastback ramshorn to me.

Last edited:
Thanks! I never thought I would get a bike like this because of the crazy prices for them. I could probably make some cash parting it out but that would be a shame. Think I am going to replace chain, cables and repack bearings and leave as is.....,,a cool rat 1967 Stingray[emoji108]

Curious, does anyone know anything about the seat?

Last edited:
Thanks! I never thought I would get a bike like this because of the crazy prices for them. I could probably make some cash parting it out but that would be a shame. Think I am going to replace chain, cables and repack bearings and leave as is.....,,a cool rat 1967 Stingray[emoji108]

Curious, does anyone know anything about the seat?

I think it's a Troxel. I have one on my Otasco monster 3 speed. I believe they were factory equipment on some Murray built bikes. They're cool, I know that for sure. Rfeagleye will know for sure. I bet he will be along sometime to comment. He knows a lot about seats and muscle bikes in general. I wish I still had a factory black stingray seat, I'd hit you up about a trade. My troxel has a tear in the cover.

Seat and sissy bar are not original, but the handlebars do look like the correct schwinn ramshorn bars under the wrapping. Loosen the stem and pull the handlebars to the side and it should say "Schwinn ramshorn" on them. Looks like a customized 1967 fastback ramshorn to me.

Spent some time on bike today. The seat is definitely not stock but I am not so sure about sissy bars.

Drenched the bike in oil and wiped off. Everything actually works on it but I would probably change tubes on it. Tires are original and in fairly good shape.

Maybe they didn't sand it down before painting and it's possible the original paint and chrome are in good condition under there.
I'll bet that is the original sissy bar. With original tires, I would try to find a seat and try to get it back to original, but removing the repaint would be a ton of work.

Last edited:
Maybe they didn't sand it down before painting and it's possible the original paint and chrome are in good condition under there.
I'll bet that is the original sissy bar. With original tires, I would try to find a seat and try to get it back to original, but removing the repaint would be a ton of work.

Yeah this is a bike worth restoring. Rust is superficial so bike could be taken apart and stripped to bare metal and chromed and painted. Would be a $ 2K plus bike restored.

Yes, ODDER is correct, that seat is a Troxel. It is a "high back" Troxel banana seat. They were used on a lot of Murray built muscle bikes in the late 1960's. The high back style, but in different colors or flower designs, were used on many other muscle bikes too, Huffy, Columbia, etc.

It is looks pretty nice, what kind of shape is it in?

Nice find on the Fastback!

Yes, ODDER is correct, that seat is a Troxel. It is a "high back" Troxel banana seat. They were used on a lot of Murray built muscle bikes in the late 1960's. The high back style, but in different colors or flower designs, were used on many other muscle bikes too, Huffy, Columbia, etc.

It is looks pretty nice, what kind of shape is it in?

Nice find on the Fastback!

Thanks man! You and Crash are the gurus of muscle bikes here on the forum.

I cleaned up and oiled the heck out of the bike. Everything works......brakes, shifter derailleur. All bearings look to be in really god shape. Tires are original and very little dry rot. The fenders and rims have been painted black but there is very little rust, superficial really. Seat is in excellent shape with no tears or cracking.

I dig the rusty and ratty look, but this bike would be an excellent candidate for a full restoration.

Still can't believe I scored it for a bill!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back