1970's Humpback Schwinn Varsity

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Picked up this little number yesterday for just a few shekels. Junior wasn't interested so dad sold it to me for his cost of the new tires it wears--he even offered to deliver! Until Sunday afternoon, I didn't even know Schwinn MADE a ten-speed version of this frame!

Did I mention I ♡ the camelbacks?

00E0E_jRtX7gUT8Od_600x450_zpsftee4kc1.jpg
00V0V_140Eqt5seNW_600x450_zpsv5oixce2.jpg

nice find my man!!! that bike looks to be very cherry and very original right down to the bar tape.
a fine example of Schwinn quality craftsmanship back in the day.
does that have the crank freewheel?( I think it is called that basically the sprockets keep turning and the cranks do not when coasting)
I had a ross humpback that was like that and I know the Schwinn collegiate 10 speeds had them for a bit.
very nice bike are you going to keep it
?Sean

It was cold and drizzly when I claimed it, so a thorough inspection had to wait. I did not notice anything peculiar about the crank, though--just a plain old one-piece bottom bracket. But, it's complete, rugged, and a survivor. No plans to flip...just carefully overhaul and enjoy.

That doesn't look to be the front freewheel set-up... here's a picture of a Caliente equipped with one:
$_35.JPG

Really nice bike you have there; i've always liked those frames. Does yours have 24" wheels? I've seen camelback 10speeds with 24" wheels and with 27" wheels...

Cool score , humpbacks make nice Customs as well !

~Rafael~

I managed to take it around the lot for a couple of laps today, and boy does it ride like a wreck! Lots of creaks and squeaks. This bike needs, nay DESERVES, a full overhaul from the ground up. That will have to wait for a warmer, clearer day.

It's a 27x1 1/4 (ISO 630) wheel set, BTW. Serial begins with DP, so I assume it was built in April '78.

Last edited:
Rub-a-dub...today was scrub day. The seller portrayed this bike as red and figured it was just faded by time. I now believe it is a color that Schwinn called "spicy chestnut." Has a few scuffs and the downtube/top tube decals are mostly gone. No other boo-boos and it sure gleams when wet. I'll repack all the bearing groups this week and be riding by the time BOTEN kicks off on Friday.

Latest posts

Back