1972 Collegiate

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this one at a thrift store last weekend. Filthy. This is after it's been washed and detailed halfway. Pull(ing) everything apart to clean it. Put a set of non-Schwinn wheels with nicer tires on, the old Strait-Side Sports Tour Schwinns were pretty much gone. I'll probably give this one to somebody in the family when it's all done. Kool Lemon....ahhh. :p

Traveler008.jpg

Traveler007.jpg

Nice find!

I'm restoring one myself, a campus green '69. Sat in a barn for a long time along with 2 other men's Collegiates and a green Breeze. This one will be going to Arizona once it's ready for the road.

69ladiescol5.jpg

These are the "before" pictures.

69ladiescoll6.jpg

Has nice decals and paint under the grime, and fortunately only light rust.

69ladiescoll7.jpg

Here I've started cleaning up the front fender, bars, and other chrome:

69ladiescoll8.jpg

69ladiescoll9.jpg

More pics as it progresses. I love bringing these old bikes back.

--Rob

That bike should look new again pretty quickly.

My detailing mind has already seen the end results!

That's the kind I like to find....grungy, but mint. :wink:

Rat Rod said:
That bike should look new again pretty quickly.

My detailing mind has already seen the end results!

That's the kind I like to find....grungy, but mint. :wink:

I'm hoping! The goal is to have it look just like it belonged in the garage next to
the one you had, brand new on a summer's day in 1969.

I think it'll come close. It's very promising. The men's counterpart to it is
being ridden regularly by my friend. That bike came out nice, but with more
work because as usual, the mens bike seems to take more wear.

I'll put up more pics as I get closer to finishing.
Take care,
--Rob

Wow Rob, it looks like the paint under that dust is perfect. Should clean up like brand new.

ej599 said:
Wow Rob, it looks like the paint under that dust is perfect. Should clean up like brand new.

It's impressive how nice it is, for a Montville barn-find. A guy I work with came in one morning with this one and 3 others in his truck. There was a small-frame men's Collegiate, a normal size (20" frame height) men's Collegiate, this one ladies Collegiate, and a 73 Breeze. They're all Campus Green, and the Collegiate's were all '69 models.

If you're interested in one or something similar, let me know.

We gotta go riding the Air Line as soon as it gets nice out! I've been getting my local riders all psyched up about it!

BTW if anyone has a single derailleur wheel for one of these, I need one. It's a smooth plastic roller wheel, the early Schwinn style.

--Rob

Back