1975 Schwinn Heavy-Duti - STILL EVOLVING

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Picked this bike up today. Rear fender is dented up pretty good and the tires are bad. Chrome is all in nice shape though and the 12 gauge spoked on the S7's look huge.

File Mar 19, 8 12 33 PM.jpeg

Got it home and swapped out a few parts to see what I could make of it. Still haven't cleaned the chrome on it...just a quick wash. The paint should look good when waxed too. Going to try to sell it locally...I'm not a big middle weight bike fan. It definitely needs a layback seat post.

shd1_s.jpg

A locojoe chop, with a drag bar and layback post might look good on it.

Oh wait, nevermind. If you did that, what would I do with mine?

I have a friend at church that's an expert wheel builder. He used to work in the bike industry in Southern California back in the 70s - 90s. I had this new set of SA drum brake hubs and he offered to build the wheels for me if I gave him everything he needed. I found a couple of nice Schwinn knurled S2 rims and ordered some Swiss DT stainless 14g spokes. Handed it all to him at church a week ago and this past Sunday he handed me the built wheel set.

I ended up installing everything yesterday and got the bike dialed in this evening. I'm running some Wald 898 cruiser bars, Thompson ball end grips and some Duro knobbies.

Rear hub is a 3 speed...always feel nice to be able to freewheel on a cruiser. :happy:

hd3spd001_low.jpg

hd3spd002_low.jpg

hd3spd003_low.jpg

hd3spd004_low.jpg

My friend has one of these at home...

TSR_Watermark_4455__37218.1457574965.1280.1280 (1).jpeg

It's great to have good friends that are willing to help . I definitely lack the wheel building process my self . Good clean looking bike nice hubs & the grips are about as comfortable as they get .[emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would love to have a Mongoose Gold Stem to throw on there, but that would double the value of the bike. :bigsmile:

I'd settle for a CeBe though to save money. :)

a true hearted klunker right there I love it s form you I might have to sweet talk the missus into letting go of one of our babies to make a home for this one how much you asking for it? I have a sister in law that lives in fort worth so I need to make a tip to tx soon how far away are you form fort worth? before I make any plans I better wait and see how much and make sure I can afford it lol it's a sweet ride though

a true hearted klunker right there I love it s form you I might have to sweet talk the missus into letting go of one of our babies to make a home for this one how much you asking for it? I have a sister in law that lives in fort worth so I need to make a tip to tx soon how far away are you form fort worth? before I make any plans I better wait and see how much and make sure I can afford it lol it's a sweet ride though

Well, not sure I could let this one go. My friend who built the wheel set said it took a few years off his life...ha ha.

I haven't even had much of a chance to ride it yet either.

Would also be sweet with a set of 70s Dura Ace cranks. :)

Well, not sure I could let this one go. My friend who built the wheel set said it took a few years off his life...ha ha.

I haven't even had much of a chance to ride it yet either.

Would also be sweet with a set of 70s Dura Ace cranks. :)
I agree you should keep it it's a sweet ride I actually know of a heavy duty for sale locally for 180 but it is black ad has the same heavy gauge wheels this one had when you got it might do a black version or at least this style I like your vision on this one

Well....I guess a bike of mine is never really finished. Played around a little last night and landed here. NOS Dorcy stem, layback chromo seat post and a big squishy Sun saddle. Not a huge fan of how the seat and post look, but they sure make it for a much more comfortable ride.

Would also like to eventually find some 70s Schwinn rat traps to use instead of the block pedals.

shd001_1600.jpg

Okay....was about to go to bed last night around 11 and decided I wanted to see how the bike would look in this configuration....I'm liking it better. Would be nice to have a set of vintage Campy 3 piece cranks and some KKT rat traps as well...

shd002_1600.jpg

My everyday rider...72 heavy duti.
For some mysterious reason this is the flat out best rider I own, everyone who hops on it for a spin seems to agree!

Found some 1 3/4" vintage Perelli tires, a B72, some original coke bottle grips. ...bobbed the rear fender, ditched the one on front and put a sweet green Racer guard on just for some Frankenfun...love this bike!

20151223_135705.jpg

Latest posts

Back