1976 Mossberg MX very early BMX with truss rod forks SOLD

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish254

BUILD COOL BIKES AND HAVE FUN!!
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
SOLD

1976 Mossberg MX very early BMX with truss rod forks
Check out this rare find. From what I can tell this was one of the first bikes to be built strong enough for BMX and not just a muscle bike with knobbies.
I haven't been able to find any photos of another one with these truss rod forks. Well, I found an article online, but now I can't locate it.
Beefy wheels and spokes. I think the chrome will clean up well. The black paint is in great shape except for some scratcehd up forks.

WP_000159.jpg

WP_000158.jpg

WP_000160.jpg

WP_000161.jpg

WP_000162.jpg

WP_000164.jpg

WP_000163.jpg

Re: 1976 Mossberg MX very early BMX with truss rod forks

I am only the second owner. I bought it from a guy that got it new as a kid.
It took me a while to get it from him. There is very little on these since they were only made for a few years.
I really wish I could find that 1976 newspaper article again. It had a photo with these forks in it.

Very, very cool. Love those HD wheels.

Looks like an H.P. Snyder made frame and fork (well, at least the actual fork part... I don't know anything about those cool trusses).

Unchained said:
Very, very cool. Love those HD wheels.

Looks like an H.P. Snyder made frame and fork (well, at least the actual fork part... I don't know anything about those cool trusses).

I think I saw that Mossberg actually bought Snyder back then, when they were getting into other sporting goods besides just shotguns.
It is a pretty rare bike. One of the guys over on BMX Museum says that he only knows of 3 of them. I think I have seen about 5-10 of them in my googling around.

Just do me a favor...pull those handlebars back straight.

Reminds of something a lowrider would do. :lol:

Rat Rod said:
Just do me a favor...pull those handlebars back straight.

Reminds of something a lowrider would do. :lol:

Will do! :mrgreen:

From the book; Mossberg More gun for the money.
"in early 1973, Mossberg purchased the stock of the HP Snyder company of Little Falls,NY. " At the time we bought Snyder, they mostly made bikes for DP Harris under the "Rollfast" name, as well as contracts for Montgomery Ward. Shortly thereafter, we started selling them to Western Auto, Sears, and other distributors we had contracts with for the firearms and other products. Mossberg marketed their bicycles under their own brand rather than Snyder. Most of these bikes were sold to the contract market, and were therefore never stamped with the Mossberg name, but those sold to the smaller accounts did carry the Mossberg logo on the frame-a distinctive crest sheild in red,yellow,and blue with armored helmet above the shield and full Mossberg name below the emblem. Around 1976, Mossberg lost their big contracts with DP Harris and Wards, and closed the bike business."

I found the article. It is from the Oswego Shopper May 5, 1976 and it is titled "Boys and girls go for 'rough rider' biking"
http://www.fultonhistory.com/Process%20 … 200426.pdf

In it there is a couple of paragraphs on teh Mossberg MX
New Model MX
Preparing a bicycle for motocross means replacing some of the factory supplied parts with heavier duty parts to take the extra punishment dished out byy the track and the rider.
One bicycle manufacturer, O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc., makes a bike that is already set up for Motocross. It is called the Mossberg MX and has heavy-duty fork, rims and spokes. It also has a special Motocross handlebar stem and handlebars.

Here is a photo of the article:
Mossberg76Article.jpg

Here is the Mossberg Photo in the article.
Mossberg76Article-Copy.jpg

I may be selling this Mossberg. Does anyone have any idea on the value of one of these?

"Around 1976, Mossberg lost their big contracts with DP Harris and Wards, and closed the bike business."

That's about the time Emory bikes in Jacksonville picked up all the Snyder stuff and started making bikes. The first year or so, the Emorys' are handmade and very good quality, like Worksman.

1976 Mossberg MX very early BMX with truss rod forks

The only way to find out the value is to stick it out on EBay with a high reserve and see what happens.

Since it's not a highly sought after brand it could probably go either way. Some collector with deep pockets may want it or, nobody will recognize it and not bid much at all.

This is why I suggest the high reserve to test the waters. You can always offer it to the highest bidder.

Thanks Steve, I also have been posting it over on the BMX Museum site and they said the same thing.

Good idea about the reserve. I know bike values, but not when it comes to BMX, let alone obscure early BMX.

One guy told me it's worth $1,000,000, but I didn't like his monacle. :p

It might also be good trading material...unless you need the cash. :wink:

Rat Rod said:
It might also be good trading material...unless you need the cash. :wink:

That is another good idea! There are plenty of old non-bmx bikes that I would be interested in for this little beast.

I am open to any offers out there whether for cash or for trade.

I also posted on BMX Museum and BMX Society. A few offers are starting to roll in.
I love this truss fork. When I do sell it, I am going to take some measurements and more photos.
It would be cool to replicate it on a 26" bike.

Latest posts

Back