1981 huffy thunder bmx

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
so when i was inventorying my junk pile i came across what will be my next bmx project
i had came across a 1981 huffy thunder bmx with lester mags on it amongst my junk collecting
i have since sold the lester mags and pretty much left the remains to rot but after doing inventory i decided im gonna build it up and see what it looks like
it is in very rough shape ut nothing a lil chemical dip and lots of elbow grease wont fix
i have the original troxel bars on another bike which is gonna be a donor for this project
it needs alot of help but im sure i can build it
are there any old school huffy fans who can tll me if this old bird is worth breathing new life into?\
or should i just leave it rotting away
the paint is bad it has been resprayed
but the frame looks solid and intact
i,ll post a pic of the frame tommorrow
thanks for reading
sean

ok here it is
i been grinding the paint off it and had to grind the top tube there was major pitting and rust on it so i ground it off
im gonna be removing the crank-set and sprocket once the p blaster sets in on the pedals but im gonna be cleaning them nd reusing them as they look to be original
pedals are garbage butt i go a set of old school ratraps for it.
i have a racing 30 donor bike with all the parts I need to rebuild it
the bike is actually a 1981 thunder road apparently i thought it was a thunder bmx but sane deal its a huffy lol
hanks for looking
Sean
1210121102.jpg

thanks scrumblero
yeah their not worth alot but i like the way this frames built
if only i kept the lester mags it had
but im gonna build it up as a 2 speed probably like the thunder road zx was
either that or all out 10 speed version i haven't decided yet but i do wanna keep the original crank-set i like the way it looks and it spins nice and freely
so yeah tis gonna be a fun project between this and the racing 30 donor bike i should be able to build it rather cheaply
i got both bikes in the same pile of junks i picked up so there is no extra money really being spent on it which is good also
ill keep pics of th build
also if anyone has parts for this im interested let me know whatcha got
thanks
Sean

off to be powdercoated in original blue today i'll post pics when finished
does anyone know where i can get the original decals for this?
i kinda forgot to check where i can get them
thanks.
sean

pre assembly and test fitting
heres the rough idea of hat it will look like when done
im thinking of just cleaning the rest of the paint off the frame and clearcoating it since i decided not to powdercoat it just yet
enjoy
0125131156_01_zps13052bf3.jpg

this project took a back burner but im gonna be doing some cleaning this weekend on the frame i might have it chromed but not sure
im looking for a gold freewheel rim i can run to match the front wheel
also maybe a laid back seat post
thanks for looking
Sean

well i got her almost done
i disassembled my sting ray bmx for parts ( yeah i went there lol im restoring the sting lol)
it's pretty much done now
still undecided if im gonna paint it or not
thanks for looking
Sean
0203131346_01_zps3c9e2c51.jpg

took it for a ride
surprisingly this thing cruises nice and does out of site ( lol 80's humor pun intended lol) bunny hops
i manged to do a tabletop jump with her and everything stayed in place
but the rider (me im an old man) can't take these jumps anymore
i need to rebuild myself and put new life into myself lol
thanks for reading
Sean

Back