1984 Raleigh Alyeska

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's not really a "find" or a "rat" for that matter, but it did find its way to my ratty old garage........ :wink:

A good friend of mine contacted me awhile back about coming to pick up "his old college bike" from the mid-to late 80's. I finally got to get it today and was shocked to see how pristine this thing really is! But then again, I shouldn't be knowing him the way I do. It's a 1984 Raleigh Alyeska, 27" wheels, in 90% original condition. It was serviced and had a new rear brake cable & tires put on in the 90's and has been in storage since. It has Scott Mathauser brakes, pedals for standard and clip-on shoes, two Cannondale racks and no damage! I dont even know what to call all the little things on it. Not knowing alot about these styles of bikes I have to say I'm impressed with what it has. As he put it, It's a well thought out bike for the era. I think this one will be staying inside this winter and will become my rider.

The pictures really dont do it any justice. I'll have to take more outside in the sun.

http://public.fotki.com/ChipsMahoy/bike ... h-alyeska/

Even the cat wants to check it out.. :wink: I no I would..That bikes in great shape bet it rides smooth.

jaydub said:
Even the cat wants to check it out.. :wink: I no I would..That bikes in great shape bet it rides smooth.

That's my "Snickers". Long story on her....

I took it for a little ride today in the mist & cold and it does ride nice! Although I think I would have to get used to the little seat.

The Alyeska, I believe, was only built one year and was Raliegh's top touring bike. Check out how long the frame is compared to other road bikes, especially how long the chain stays are so that your feet clear any pannier bags that would hang off the back. It also has all the bosses needed to add on any type of touring gear you would need. Cool bike. I think its a bit tall for me, otherwise I would definitely be interested in buying it if it ever came up for sale.

ohdeebee said:
The Alyeska, I believe, was only built one year and was Raliegh's top touring bike. Check out how long the frame is compared to other road bikes, especially how long the chain stays are so that your feet clear any pannier bags that would hang off the back. It also has all the bosses needed to add on any type of touring gear you would need. Cool bike. I think its a bit tall for me, otherwise I would definitely be interested in buying it if it ever came up for sale.

While looking around for info on it I found 84-86 models listed. Dont know if there were more.... It's not too tall I guess. I'm 5' 8 5/8" and it brushes the boys. But I'm not expert on how this type of bike should fit.

I think I just bought one of these yesterday, but all the decals are off. The only other one I found with this exact paint job is the olympian, but that is 12 speed and the shifters are on the handlebars. Mine has the shifters down below and it's 10 speed.

How many speeds is this bike?

Does anyone know if there are any other models besides the 1984 Alyeska and the 1983 and 1984 Olympian that had this exact paint job? My serial number starts with a 3, which I've read means it was made in 1983 and is either a 1983 or 1984 model.

BTW, the bike is a great ride. I am a novice--this is actually my first road bike I've owned--but I tried a few out and this one stood out from the crowd. Got is for $275 at a used shop, all fixed up.

Latest posts

Back