1986 Schwinn Cruiser 5

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Bought this bike 2 years ago at police auction.
index.php

Fun bike, but the deteriorated tires have a noisy tread on pavement and they had a lot of rolling resistance due to their 35 psi limit. Bike came with crappy exercise bike seat, broken front pivot fixed with duct tape! Fitted with better used seat and dumped rotten foam covering the bars. Hard plastic grips were missing padding and cracked plastic so I replaced them with used rubber grips.
IMG_2390.JPG
IMG_2396.JPG
IMG_2397.JPG
IMG_2401.JPG
IMG_2403.JPG

Usually bikes from the auction fall in two categories, basket case rebuild or parts bikes, or just barely operational bikes, left in the elements, that need thorough service and parts replacement to use. This Giant built Schwinn is a solid rider that needs updating.

Last edited:
IMG_1876.JPG

IMG_1877.JPG
New tires installed after tidying the wheels. Chrome was rough but came back nice. Bearings were dry and needing adjustment.
index.php
index.php

Rear cluster (SunTour "Perfect" Freewheel) was kinda wiggly and it turned out the retaining ring was hand tight! I took it off accidentally (left hand thread) and somehow got it lubed and back together without dropping the loose ball bearings! :eek:
index.php

With the bearings tight and greased and the blue skinwall 26 x 2.125" EVO Easy Glide street tread tires, this rig is going to ride so much better. :thumbsup:

Going to put the wheels on yesterday. Crank seemed sloppy was going to adjust but needed grease, cleaning ect. So I'm upgrading to :
1983 - 86 Deore XT: "deer head" group - PD-GX10 alloy/resin pedals along with crank and 46t "mag" sprocket from 1970's Schwinn breeze. :cool2:
IMG_2090.JPG
IMG_2091.JPG

View attachment 111584
View attachment 111585New tires installed after tidying the wheels. Chrome was rough but came back nice. Bearings were dry and needing adjustment.
index.php
index.php

Rear cluster (SunTour "Perfect" Freewheel) was kinda wiggly and it turned out the retaining ring was hand tight! I took it off accidentally (left hand thread) and somehow got it lubed and back together without dropping the loose ball bearings! :eek:
index.php

With the bearings tight and greased and the blue skinwall 26 x 2.125" EVO Easy Glide street tread tires, this rig is going to ride so much better. :thumbsup:
Suntour Far From Perfect is the correct name.

IMG_2129.JPG
Crank installed shifts ok pretty sure chain is too short now! New brake pads next, old red ones hard as stone. :eek:

I like how the chainguard matches the dork disk. All gloss black paint a little beat up so scratched up black BMX crank from a swap meet looks right at home.

What's the serial number on the bike. I,m trying to figure out what year mine is . Y6604763 is mine does any one know what year?
Agree with 1986. These bikes had a sticker on the dropout "Schwinn Approved Giant".

These have an odd Giant serial number. Between 1986 and 1987 Giant was changing their serial number format. Normally in this time period the Giant serial number would start with the letter "G". For the Schwinn Cruiser the serial numbers start with "Y".

Latest posts

Back