1989 Specialized Rockhopper Comp rebuild/restore.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this bike in a trade from a friend. He was gonna junk it because it needed work. Well, I stripped it down and rebuilt the entire thing. I ended up discovering that the seat post was seized. usually not a problem....except this was a steel frame and aluminum seat post and had severe galvanic corrosion, so was basically welded into the bike frame.

This is exactly how it looked when I dragged it home. The bike had apparently been sitting outside in a bush. The bike had a cool late 80s look to it, so I decided to fix it up proper. Neither tires were any good. The seatpost, I ended up using a few different methods on getting out, from Lye+water to drilling, to just chiseling it out. I did get 95% of the post out by the end...Worst problem I've had with a bike by far.

P_20220723_183117.jpg

P_20220723_183129.jpg

I swapped the two biopace rings out for a proper triple ring setup, got a good set of used ones on eBay. The cables all needed replacing, so instead of replacing with black, I went with fluorescent pink cables instead.
P_20220805_194021.jpgP_20220819_163316.jpgP_20220819_163112.jpg

P_20220819_163515.jpg

And the finished bike...With some tires I had laying about I tossed on, all I had....they barely fit though., got a cheap saddle and post from the LBS as well. Excuse the ugly green pedals, they're all I had to put on to ride it...I plan on some teal ones to match the accents on the decals.

P_20220819_163051.jpg

Attachments

• P_20220723_183122.jpg
    P_20220723_183122.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Lotsa great OE parts on that bike and great job in de-funkifying it. What was up with that board fixed to the top tube? It was obviously garage-kept in telling from the dark petrochemical exhaust film on the paint that was made more evident by the removal of the equipment mount near the top of the seat tube.

Lotsa great OE parts on that bike and great job in de-funkifying it. What was up with that board fixed to the top tube? It was obviously garage-kept in telling from the dark petrochemical exhaust film on the paint that was made more evident by the removal of the equipment mount near the top of the seat tube.

Thanks, I probably have a couple dozen hours into fixing it all up. Yea, all the Shimano parts on it are Deore II. Only year they made them before Just calling it Deore XT I think. Yea, it was garage kept at one point but some of the big surface rust spots and rusted fasteners say otherwise. Tire rub marks had turned to rust as did a spot on the upper part of the down tube underneath it, all mostly surface rust though.

And yea, the top bar on it was a kids seat, missing the seat part. I've kept the bar though, it could be something to use in a future project.

I'd like to put some classic Smoke and Dart Panaracer tires on it just for that little bit of *chef's kiss* extra bit of class. I know they're still made, in tanwall even.

Looks good!

I'm a bit of a Specialized fan, I worked in a shop that sold them back in the day too. I just spent way too much money on that bike's older brother... a 1988 version. But only because I've had one since new and this was it's twin with a larger frame.

RHCII_6352.JPG

Mine has been through a couple rebuilds. This new one... yikes. Worse condition than I was expecting. I'm not sure if I'll switch parts from mine and make it an old MTB or build it up as more of a suburban cruiser.

Looks good!

I'm a bit of a Specialized fan, I worked in a shop that sold them back in the day too. I just spent way too much money on that bike's older brother... a 1988 version. But only because I've had one since new and this was it's twin with a larger frame.

RHCII_6352.JPG

Mine has been through a couple rebuilds. This new one... yikes. Worse condition than I was expecting. I'm not sure if I'll switch parts from mine and make it an old MTB or build it up as more of a suburban cruiser.

I was born in 89', so having a MTB as old as I am is kinda fun. Now I just need a 1989 Trans-Am to go with it, lol. The colourways on these old bikes just look so good. Like I need to put on a brightly coloured windbreaker while riding it.
Those are some of my favorites from back in the 90s. I keep an eye on this link as they go on special sometimes:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/293669325425?var=592529765369Nice job on the rebuild!
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on them. not a terrible price atm either.

Latest posts

Back