1st Murray Westport Build: Any suggestions?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just decided to build my pops a cruiser since he's in the process of acquiring a '65 Shelby Cobra, which he's wanted every since I can remember and I thought this would be a great way to commemorate it. I found a Murray Westport on Craigslist for $25 and as far as I know, all that is wrong is some rust on the wheels and handlebars (which I'm going to replace anyway). Other plans would include a fresh paint job, new seat, tires, rims, grips, chain if it needs it, saddle, and a light. Most of this will come from bikebuyers.com if anyone has ever heard of them and wants to chime in thats a good idea or not. I've never dealt with them but they have some pretty good prices (i think?).

I guess my real intention here is to give a shout and say "hi" to everyone and ask if anyone has any thoughts or tips, tricks, ety. that would be awesome since this will be my first real build. I don't have any access to a machine shop or anything so most modifications (unless done with a dremel) are hard to do. Stripping and re-painting would be a big topic (shelby blue and white) as well as cleaning and repairing any chrome rust. Tires specs, what will be too thick; handlebar thickness, seatpost, etc are also appreciated. Basically I'd rather not have to do too much trial and error (that gets costly!).

I do want to note I'm not trying to put out the vibe that I want someone to tell me exactly what to do, that's the wrong impression, but would just like some pointers n such.

I've seen some amazing builds so far as I've been browsing a lot of the galleries and other posts on the Westport. You guys seriously do some nice work. Hopefully, since this is going to my father, mine will look as good as yours someday soon!

Cheers and sorry for the novel!

FIY here is a list of parts I'm thinking of throwing on it if anyone is interested. It's supposed to mimic the car he's getting in color and parts:

Light
Saddle
Grips
Rims
Tires

All plus the bike should be around $170 or so. This seem reasonable? Of course I'll still have to figure in the paint (whether I figure out how to do it myself, or pay someone to do it), any tools I'll need and cleaning supplies to pretty her up.

The paint will be shelby blue with white incoporated somehow to mimic the racing stripes on the cobra.

I'll also try to get some new handlebars to replace the stock but I'm not sure where to get some good swept back ones. The bars on that site I'm not too crazy about.

Thanks Randy. I'll keep that in mind about the wheels. Hopefully the build goes smoothly since it's my first. Any suggestions about a different wheelset?

Latest posts

Back