2 new rides, need some help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Picked up these 2 today for a steal! Not sure what the complete one is. Has old Schwinn grips but I know that doesn't mean anything, hard to make out the number underneath the BB looks like it says 00 something, has ND hub.
#2The frame with the fork looks very similar to a Columbia and the elgin I have. Underneath the BB there is a placard that say model # 3000 and serial #A09566306. Any info on either one would be great! thanks

Frame:

[/URL]

Last edited:
First frame is early teens-20s. Looks like it could be a Davis built frame but a serial photo will credit or discredit that. The frame is the only part original to that. Newer fork and everything else is newer as well.

Second frame is postwar Monark.

First frame is early teens-20s. Looks like it could be a Davis built frame but a serial photo will credit or discredit that. The frame is the only part original to that. Newer fork and everything else is newer as well.

Second frame is postwar Monark.
I was just waiting for you to respond haha. I feel like you always know what it is lol. So were some Elgins davis built?

This era bikes is infamously hard to ID because many are nearly identical and it comes down to subtle differences in frame joints and geometry. I am far from an expert on anything pre-ballooner so don't proclaim my abilities yet! The fork is not original to the frame so that doesn't help any with the ID.

Having said that, it really resembles the frames used by late teens Sears Chief bicycles in geometry and the slightly smaller diameter middle tube.

haha much more of an expert than me I should say then, so I was able to get some number of the BB. There is a large L then a backwards B then under that it has # 0 0 8 then a almost triple stamped number I cant make out then a 3.

This era bikes is infamously hard to ID because many are nearly identical and it comes down to subtle differences in frame joints and geometry. I am far from an expert on anything pre-ballooner so don't proclaim my abilities yet! The fork is not original to the frame so that doesn't help any with the ID.

Having said that, it really resembles the frames used by late teens Sears Chief bicycles in geometry and the slightly smaller diameter middle tube.
Just curious why do think this is not the correct fork?

Last edited:
haha much more of an expert than me I should say then, so I was able to get some number of the BB. There is a large L then a backwards B then under that it has # 0 0 8 then a almost triple stamped number I cant make out then a 3.

Is the number running parallel with the frame tubes? Or does it run sideways like most serials?

Just curious why do think this is not the correct fork?

It's a 26" ballooner fork--looks Rollfast. This frame would have had 28" wood wheels originally with the fork being a 28" and most likely having integrated truss rods. It was just assembled like this and repainted a long time ago so it's all aged together.

here is a pic of the BB, hard to make out. but say LB then 008?3

aw I see. yeah that's pretty much all I've found in researching is the integrated truss rod forks. I'm sure those aren't cheap. haha

Jpromo, so I did some posting on the cabe after I did some research. So it totally does look like a sears chief which I guess was built by Davis. So 2 members on there said its Excelsior Michigan city built. Pretty interesting. I guess they were a separate company from the Schwinn built excelsiors.

The Monark serial has too many digits. If it was a mistype, a 952000 series # would be 1952, if it really has 7 digits after the 0, and if we discount the 9, a 520000 series would be '49. -Adam

The Monark serial has too many digits. If it was a mistype, a 952000 series # would be 1952, if it really has 7 digits after the 0, and if we discount the 9, a 520000 series would be '49. -Adam
Have seen many bikes that have the placard on them? you think there is a serial number underneath it?

Latest posts

Back