24 inch Free Spirit BMX Cruiser (PAUSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the twin top tube styling on this frame. Your gusetting is perfect for this frame too.

I have a little bit of progress to report from this week.

First, I picked up a couple of white grips, along with a few other parts, at the Springfield, Missouri Bicycle Swap Meet this Sunday. I don't know if I'll use them, but I'm willing to give them a shot.
BftD_springfield_2023_haul.jpg

Next, I tried mocking up a couple other chainrings earlier this week to see if I could make do with what I already have. First I tried this Murray chainring with the extra holes for mounting one of those plastic covers some of the Spaceliners had. The chrome's good on it, and it's got potential, but I still don't like it as much as the previous chainring I had on it.
BftD_Free_Spirit_52623_1.jpg

Next, I tried this 5 spoke chainring off a later model Huffy bike. Can't say I'm the biggest fan of it either.
BftD_Free_Spirit_52623_2.jpg

Today, I cut out a block of wood to help keep the seat stays wide enough where the rear tire is at its thickest while I narrow the rear triangle.
BftD_Free_Spirit_52623_3.jpg

Lastly, I did some scouting for paint options.

I found this engine paint that, based on the cap, would make a great anodized gold color for all the parts I wish to paint that way.
BftD_Free_Spirit_52623_6.jpg
BftD_Free_Spirit_52623_7.jpg

I also found some lime green, bright green, and teal spray paint that matches the digital mockup of the bike I made earlier.
BftD_Free_Spirit_52623_4.jpg

But I also came up with this other color palette I really like too, with lime green, bright blue, navy blue, and black. I feel like I need to explore a few more color options before I decide on paint.
BftD_Free_Spirit_52623_5.jpg

While I was at Home Depot, I also picked up some 3/8" threaded rod and some nuts and washers to squeeze that rear triangle down to the width I want.

Progress has been a little slow this month, but I'm ready to kick things into high gear and start ordering parts soon.

Last edited:
I hope that Engine paint works for mimicking gold anodizing, that is one thing I love!
I was wondering if anyone else has used it before. Is there a thread on different gold paints?

That's looking fresh as is! Colors look nice but beware, that Rusto 2X is water.
Thanks. Care to elaborate on what you said about the Rustoleum 2X? I don't understand what you're saying there.

Thanks. Care to elaborate on what you said about the Rustoleum 2X? I don't understand what you're saying there.
sorry. I find it doesn't stay mixed long, coats thin and doesn't dry as fast as competitors. As always some colors are thicker than others but in general I've been disappointed. I use them as sketch paints to waste underneath the actual color because they're so inexpensive. I'm pretty sure it's produced for graffiti scribblers, taking advantage of the gap in the market left untargetted by expensive artist's brands. It's usable but if I had to practice with only one can that would be that one.

I was wondering if anyone else has used it before. Is there a thread on different gold paints?
funny you should ask. If you find any, let me know

Last edited:
Well, I was afraid it would come to this, but I need to pull the plug on this build, at least for now. Unfortunately, I just can't afford to build this bike the way I want to right now. I need to save my money for more critical things at this time, and I need to spend more time working on the things that will help me get into a more financially stable position.

That said, I'll still be tinkering with this bike during the Build Off and making whatever progress on it I can. Maybe I'll even slap it together just enough to get it riding. Who knows. I'll still be working on my Class 1 build, as I have most everything I need to get that bike done, but this bike's going to have to sit on the backburner for now.

Well, I was afraid it would come to this, but I need to pull the plug on this build, at least for now. Unfortunately, I just can't afford to build this bike the way I want to right now. I need to save my money for more critical things at this time, and I need to spend more time working on the things that will help me get into a more financially stable position.

That said, I'll still be tinkering with this bike during the Build Off and making whatever progress on it I can. Maybe I'll even slap it together just enough to get it riding. Who knows. I'll still be working on my Class 1 build, as I have most everything I need to get that bike done, but this bike's going to have to sit on the backburner for now.
It's turning into a cool machine - may your fortunes reverse quickly so you can get back to it (and have some peace of mind)!

It's turning into a cool machine - may your fortunes reverse quickly so you can get back to it (and have some peace of mind)!
Thank you. I'm hoping to turn things around so I can get this bike done too. On the bright side, at least I figured out what I want to do with it. That's usually the hardest part of any bike project for me.

Latest posts

Back