29" Orbea bmx

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this Orbea as a donor bike for its 8 speed nexus hub.
20221105_125108.jpg
20221105_124629.jpg

I re laced the hub from the 700c into a 26" hoop for my E stay bike.
20221108_173156.jpg

That left me with this interesting frame asking for a new life as a bmx cruiser
20221115_172738.jpg

Installed a set of cheep brake post extenders, upside down and back to front. This got me close to the correct place. I dug through the parts pile to find a pair of brake arms to fit in just the right place. Then still needed to slot the pad holes an extra few millimetres, to get the pads low enough. With some odyssey clear pads on there, it's stops amazing!
20230128_100420.jpg
20230128_100429.jpg
20230128_100444.jpg
20230128_100454.jpg
20230128_100459.jpg
20230128_100508.jpg

So there it is, my take on a multi speed retro BMX cruiser. 😎🤙

I saw where you were going with this before you mentioned you were building a fast ripper clone. As an owner of a 2021 FR, the similarities between the 2 frames gave it away really quickly. Too cool and well done.

I saw where you were going with this before you mentioned you were building a fast ripper clone. As an owner of a 2021 FR, the similarities between the 2 frames gave it away really quickly. Too cool and well done.
Thanks dude. I'm sure there will be plenty more mods in the future, nice thing to ride.

I would run the v-brakes over the roller brake. I have 2 roller brake 7 speeds and find the braking power very weak plus the feel at the lever is quite spongy. You would need to run a front brake in combination with the roller brake to get good braking. I don't know if the 8 speed with a roller brake is any better.

I like the tan walls on the bike.

I would run the v-brakes over the roller brake. I have 2 roller brake 7 speeds and find the braking power very weak plus the feel at the lever is quite spongy. You would need to run a front brake in combination with the roller brake to get good braking. I don't know if the 8 speed with a roller brake is any better.

I do like the tan walls, but I think I need to try the whites, To satisfy my curiosity hahaha.

Depends on a model and a condition of a brake. You might have seen my build thread of an e-bike. The combination of front and rear roller is good enough to stop a fast and heavy e-bike. Though i am running the biggest cooling rotor model out there. In general there is a big performance gap between early and late generation brakes and also between the entry model and the rest of them because of the small cooling rotor on the cheapest versions.

Depends on a model and a condition of a brake. You might have seen my build thread of an e-bike. The combination of front and rear roller is good enough to stop a fast and heavy e-bike. Though i am running the biggest cooling rotor model out there. In general there is a big performance gap between early and late generation brakes and also between the entry model and the rest of them because of the small cooling rotor on the cheapest versions.
I’m glad to hear Shimano improved the performance of the later roller brakes. One other point to consider is the weight. I remember weighing an early rear roller brake assembly and it was close to 1kg. The later units may be lighter as I believe they used more aluminum in them rather than steel.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back