27" Fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alright, I've done some searching here, in local stores, online, etc. but I must be doing something wrong. I'm in need of a 27" fork to fit my late 1950's/early 60's AMF-built Western Flyer. Can anybody point me to one? It must be steel as I plan on bending it, other than that I'll take anything.

I'd like to reuse my existing headset as it's in great shape. 1", threaded, don't know the length of the steer tube but if it's a new fork length obviously doesn't matter.

I wish I knew more about these old bikes, sizes and specs, etc. :roll:

I don't have any direct photos of the headset/head tube, but I do have these. I can get a more direct photo if needed.

Stem-1.jpg

DayOne3.jpg

06-30-2012FrontFenderHeadOn.jpg

07-07-2012BottleOpener.jpg

bike2112 said:
So, are you just looking for a longer fork than you currently have so you can put some bends in it? If so, You could probably use a Schwinn Collegiate type fork or something like that. If it is a bladed for though, it may be tough to bend. But I would think any roadbike fork from the 60's or 70's would work just fine. Try hitting up craigs list and looking for a cheap 70's roadbike. Should be tons of options for you to choose from. Also, hit up some local thrift shops, yard sales etc., you may score an old roadiebike for like 10 bucks. I have a 27" fork off an old 70's huffyish bike that looks similar to the one in the pic you can have. Dunno how it would bend though, but you can have it if you want it. Just send me a PM if interested.

Correct. I want to bend it as much as possible and plan on running a 24" front, building truss rods, etc. I'd rather the fork legs be round for ease of bending.

I've got 27" I could sell you if wanted. I'll take a pic and send you a pm later tonight.

Is something like this what you have in mind? This is an old Huffy road bike fork, with a 2.125x24 on.
005-Copy.jpg

This is an old Panasonic road bike fork with a 1.75x24
DSC04712.jpg

Keep in mind that if you bend to this degree, you're going to need shorter cranks. :wink:

Another thing is that if the steer tube on your new fork is too long, you can have a shop cut more threads on it and trim it down. Assuming they have the die. If it's too short, well it gets more complicated but not impossible by any means. They can be extended by welding. Did someone in BO7 extend one using JB Weld? Good luck, keep us posted, hey?

That0neGuy said:
I've got 27" I could sell you if wanted. I'll take a pic and send you a pm later tonight.

I'll be on the lookout for your PM.

aka_locojoe said:
Keep in mind if you use a fork off a road bike you won't be able to use a very wide tire.

That's ok, I plan on running a somewhat skinny front anyway.

KOTA said:
Is something like this what you have in mind? This is an old Huffy road bike fork, with a 2.125x24 on.
005-Copy.jpg

This is an old Panasonic road bike fork with a 1.75x24
DSC04712.jpg

Keep in mind that if you bend to this degree, you're going to need shorter cranks. :wink:

Thanks for the heads up, I'll either replace the cranks with shorties or keep my bending somewhat conservative. As a matter of fact, that second pic is my inspiration for my possible new front end. It's a beautiful piece, I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it.

jackdaw said:
Another thing is that if the steer tube on your new fork is too long, you can have a shop cut more threads on it and trim it down. Assuming they have the die. If it's too short, well it gets more complicated but not impossible by any means. They can be extended by welding. Did someone in BO7 extend one using JB Weld? Good luck, keep us posted, hey?

True. I work at a machine shop, I may already have access to the correct thread die.

I'll for sure keep the board posted on the progress of this, either in this thread or in my build.

Thanks everybody for your input, I really appreciate it! :D

I plan on running a 24x1.75" up front.

A couple of weeks ago I saw an old road bike on the side of the road for free. I knew when I saw it I should just grab it and figure out what I could use once I got it home, instead I decided to leave it and see if it was there on my way home from work. Of course, by the time I was on my way home from work it was gone :( Probably would've made a perfect donor bike, oh well.

aka_locojoe said:
KOTA said:
Guess I stand corrected. I never had any luck with a fat tire and any Schwinn road bike forks I tried.

Wasn't meant as a correction, Randy. :oops: But you can spread them out as you bend them.

Back