28" Clincher Tire Q's- Running into some problems! 11/10

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Does anyone know where I could get 28" inner tubes and rim strips for a 28" clincher wheelset I've got? I haven't checked the bike shop yet, but I have a feeling they probably don't have them. Also- I thought someone had told me once that the Goodyear 28" clincher tires, as used on Raleigh's (a question mark here "?" As I don't know that for sure) are still available? Can anyone verify if that is true, and if so, where they can be purchased? Thanks in advance.

Re: 28" Clincher Tire Q's

Unchained said:
Does anyone know where I could get 28" inner tubes and rim strips for a 28" clincher wheelset I've got? I haven't checked the bike shop yet, but I have a feeling they probably don't have them. Also- I thought someone had told me once that the Goodyear 28" clincher tires, as used on Raleigh's (a question mark here "?" As I don't know that for sure) are still available? Can anyone verify if that is true, and if so, where they can be purchased? Thanks in advance.
The Sheldon Brown tire page ( http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html ) indicates that 28" x 1-1/2" tires are (were) mostly used on rod-brake roadsters.

Yellowjersey.org sells rod-brake roadsters, so they would be a good place to ask: http://www.yellowjersey.org/EASTMAN.HTML
~

Re: 28" Clincher Tire Q's

28x1-1/2 tires are still available. They are $20 each and you use 700x40-45 tubes. Heres apicture of my Raleigh with 28" wheels.

014-34.jpg

Thanks for all the help, guys-

Here's my new problem. I have some brand new Kenda 28" tires, and they don't fit my 28" clincher rims. They are marked 28x 1 & 1/2, just as the old tires are, and they don't fit. As mentioned directly above ^, they fit the wheelset of a similar Raleigh I had.

The only reason I can come up with for this odd problem is that the current 28" wheels were removed from a Canadian CCM, and the tires are marked "28x 1 & 1/2, F13", which, judging by Sheldon Brown's site, is the source of problems. F13 seems to be the special Canadian mark on their 28x 1 & 1/2 tires, which aren't the same thing as the English Raleigh 28x 1 & 1/2 tires. The Raleigh 28's seem to take a tire with a 635mm ISO, whereas a Canadian CCM 28 would take a 622mm ISO. On that same note, it seems that a 28x 1 & 5/8 x 1 & 1/4 tire, or 700C, also has a 622mm ISO.

So, my question is, do my rims take 700C tires? If not, where would I get a pair of F13 Canadian 28's? Can anyone help me with these problems? Thanks in advance.

If it has the same ISO, it should fit. Since you have clincher rims, there should be no problem with blow-off. Most lbs have those, hopefully there's one somewhere close to you that will let you stick one on before buying.

if the iso matches you're good to go! that's the 'real' size. at least you'll have lots of choices with 622 (700c) instead of one chinese blackwall with the 635 :D

Hey guys-

Thanks for the help, looks like 700C it is, then. It should actually be really fun picking through all the different options- and that fact alone, having a wider selection- is great. I guess this worked out in my favor.

Back