28" wooden metal clad wheel question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Just bought an old 20's bike with metal cald wooden wheels. It has single tube tires which from coker run about $350 a pair..... (that's almost the price of my first car.) The tires that are on there hold air just fine but are cracking but I'm afraid if I sit on it (I'm not exactely a light weight) that I'd ruin these tires. I'd much rather replace the whole wheelset with something that I won't be afraid to ride on. What can I use as a replacement? or.. is there any way to use clincher tires on these rims? I see that 28x 1 1/2 tires arent that hard to find in standard tires, but the single tube tires are expensive!

You're on the right track, mothball the original wheel set and set up something ridable.

Velocity makes a 700c /29er rim that is very close in profile to the old metal clad wood wheels. I think it's the P35. at one point they were available in faux wood finish but you can get them some colors. I think some guys have sent them out for nickel plating to make them a bit more authentic looking.

Thanks! I've been price checking those wheels. Just curious, if I don't really care about the correct profile, does any 29er wheelset work?

Agree with the 700c rim, but you may want to find a 28 inch tire such as commonly used on "hybrid" bikes, depending on clearance. Somewhere in between 622x38 and 622x 50 ISO, (aka 700x38c and 700x50c or 28x1.6 and 29x2.0 :roll: ) These would be awesome if they fit 8) :arrow: http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/ ... -inch-tire

I like using the 28" wood rims personally. You can get the same ones that Coker has cheaper if you go to Universal Tire. Still not cheap but if you want something bad enough you find a way.
You can also get 28" clincher rims that are new fairly cheap(about the same as a normal rim). Search here or the CABE I know I posted a link or 2 just can't remember who was making/selling them offhand and I'm feeling lazy right now.

Latest posts

Back