3 cross lacing

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just laced my first wheel succesfully,only had to watch a couple of utube vieos bout a dozen times,what a relief,im on social security fixe income and the local lbs is up to $50 :D .00 for lacing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats! They get quicker with each wheel. Soon you will be trying other patterns. I am partial to 3 Leading-3 Trailing.

564121_10151288605475278_1460529634_n.jpg

398646_10150747832500278_1646020049_n.jpg

Cool! does that require any special tricks in lacing? longer/shorter spoke length?

I laced these for my fiance's '68 Schwinn Hollywood. Spokes were a bit too long so I came up with this after seeing a friend do it on his BMX bike.

P8050064.jpg

Before
P8020027.jpg

After
P8050001.jpg

udallcustombikes said:
Same spokes. Same as a three cross, just laced in a different order.
Thanks, I'll have to give that a try on my next set.

whoa! udall. that trip spoke lacing does look cool, but from what(little) i know does it make it tough to true that wheel?

beatcad said:
whoa! udall. that trip spoke lacing does look cool, but from what(little) i know does it make it tough to true that wheel?

I trued it myself in my homemade truing stand. It isn't perfect, but it isn't far off. I am sure a more experianced wheelman can hit perfection with little effort.

The 3 and 3 look nice Cameron. I only know one way to do it. I saw a book once called, I think, "The Bicycle Wheel" by Jobst Brandt. More information than you'd ever want to know about lacing. Gary

Congratulations on lacing your first wheel!

I think it seems scarier that it actually is. I am always apprehensive until I get into it.
The one thing I'm always worried about is the spoke tension. I'm always afraid they're either too tight or too loose...

I used the sheldon brown tutorial, which can be found here:
http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

I also found this on the gaerlan site, It looks pretty thorough:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5846853/WHEELBUILD/WHEEL.PDF

october

Back