3 speed coaster for klunker use?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm hoarding plenty of things.... but, sadly, no AWC hubs right now. Closest i've got right now is a late-model s-rc3, made in Taiwan. Coolest gearhub in my stash is a 1948 AG.

It;s sad but true; finding old-production brit-built AWC hubs is a rare occurrence these days, although the AW hubs are still everywhere. Thankfully, you can still buy new, 2016-model AWC hubs for under $100.... last time i needed a 3speed, the allure of the aluminum shell was too strong to resist, but i almost instantly regretted not buying an AWC. They're just cool hubs.
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...c-3-speed-hub-36h-coaster-brake-with-trim-kit
http://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/products/detail/awc-ii

I kinda wanna run the s-rk3 or the s2k hub with a front disc on a trail bike; they're cheap enough where, if i blow it up, i can just swap the guts from a fresh hub, trade the knobbies for slicks, and never try it again.... or, if it take a long enough time for it to blow up, i might just look at the guts-swap as routine maintenance. :grin:

That is a killer deal on the new sturmey coaster-3(AWC). I have been looking at the new stuff and am tempted to get the alloy version as well for something different and to test the idea that the tolerances are better in the new hubs. Maybe in the future, but for now, just hoarding the 3111's and 515's..:happy:

That is a killer deal on the new sturmey coaster-3(AWC). I have been looking at the new stuff and am tempted to get the alloy version as well for something different and to test the idea that the tolerances are better in the new hubs. Maybe in the future, but for now, just hoarding the 3111's and 515's..:happy:

That's an excellent plan, i reckon. :grin:

I am tempted to get the alloy version as well for something different and to test the idea that the tolerances are better in the new hubs.

Apparently, and i've not yet torn them down side-to-side to fact-check this, the s-rc3 alloy hub runs the exact same internals as the current awc. (There's been maybe 3 different versions of the awc over the years....) Rumor has it, the new Sturmey-Archers have way better QC and tolerances than late 70s/80s/90s Brit Sturmey-Archers, but they're not quite on the level that the older Sturmeys are; i can't really comment on this, beyond the fact that new Sturmey hubs are very well made, but the internal components are not as rock-hard as the stuff from the early 60s, 50s, and 40s. I read somewhere that Sturmey changed their materials and processes slightly in the 60s.

Rebuilt Bendix 2 speed coaster with 19 x 28 gearing with 26 inch wheels, 6.5 inch cranks. Raced it cross country beat the heck out of it. The only problem is the soft steel in the hollow axle keeps bending and needs to be straightened. No good if there is long steep rock gardens as it gets too hot to touch. It also requires REALLY A LOT of back peddling to engage the brake, which increases a lot when you shift to a lower gear. Really not a good choice unless you are like me and like the vintage stuff. I am currently running it with 19 x 24 as I have retired it from racing and use it on the rocky up and down trail system out my back door.

Nexus 3 speed coaster with 22 x 28 gearing, 26 inch wheels and 5.5 inch cranks. Beat it hard for 3 years, shifting on hills under power, no problem. Unlike the Bendix it has a short back pedal to engage the brake which does not change with lower gearing. This brake is more powerful than the Bendix. The short cranks might be why it has not detonated. I keep thinking it will be stripped out but so far it is good. I like it enough that if it blows I will get another one and put the new parts in the old hub.

Last edited:
@Bicycle808 No doubt material and Heat treating have changed. 40+ years ago I ran a cylindrical grinder finishing heat treated shafts and pins for construction equipment. Top quality extremely tough and hard material. Believe at that time much case hardened - using Cyanide process. Doubt they do that now!
@us56456712 How do you like a "short" crank? I have a few in my scrap from kids bikes. I should try runnin one to see how it goes - suppose a set back seat is required as I can never seem to get enough leg extension anyways even with normal cranks.

@Bicycle808 No doubt material and Heat treating have changed. 40+ years ago I ran a cylindrical grinder finishing heat treated shafts and pins for construction equipment. Top quality extremely tough and hard material. Believe at that time much case hardened - using Cyanide process. Doubt they do that now!
@us56456712 How do you like a "short" crank? I have a few in my scrap from kids bikes. I should try runnin one to see how it goes - suppose a set back seat is required as I can never seem to get enough leg extension anyways even with normal cranks.

Everyone that rides this bike with the 5.5 inch cranks hates it. I am only 5'9" with shoes. I put it on because the CWC frame has a low bottom bracket and I had a lot of pedal strikes. I have none with the 5.5. It takes getting used to but I like it. It is definitely a choppier pedal action. I have bad knees so the short cranks are a bit of a relief here. I would only try it on a klunker where you had a lot of strikes. It is easy enough to change back. I don't use a set back seat post as that is no good for single track climbing. I just use a long seat post.

Back