3 speed hub conversion ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into converting my single speed coaster to a 3 speed internal hub. New is way out of my price range. I know I would need to relace my wheel, cable, a shifter and it would need to have coaster brake. So what is a good estimate on a used hub and what else do I need to know ?

Thanks in advance,
Sorcerer

Sorcerer said:
Looking into converting my single speed coaster to a 3 speed internal hub. New is way out of my price range. I know I would need to relace my wheel, cable, a shifter and it would need to have coaster brake. So what is a good estimate on a used hub and what else do I need to know ?

Thanks in advance,
Sorcerer

Every now and then on eBay you can get a built wheel with a 3 speed hub and shifter / cable for around $50. You just have to keep checking.

Id recommend that the Nexus 3speed with coaster is a pretty reliable hub and I love it on my 05' Torker Boardwalk. Good range, strong brake and fairly simple and reliable. Sure you can find on with wheel and gears shifters/wires in your price range. Makes such a difference to convert, especially if you live in mountain or hilly areas like I do. Good luck!

Guys, shoot Chuck a PM. He gave me a great price on a new Nexus hub.

Since this isn't his '3-speed hubs for sale' thread, it may be best to work with him 'off-line' from here.

Just sayin' :wink:

Cheers,
Dr. T

Sorcerer said:

Thanks in advance,
Sorcerer
You might need to increase the hub distance to the chainstays. Some multi-speed internal hubs are 135mm, while skips (single-speed hubs w/coaster brakes) are 125mm. If you DO need to increase the chainstay hub measurement, use the cold-bend method.

pm sent, i think. maybe twice or not at all

pm's are odd on this forum. i can't tell if it's showing me what i sent, or it's a preview and i need to hit another send button to actually send it.

Back