3 speed hub gearing question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've always thought it would be cool to do a bike with an internal geared hub. But having never ridden a bicycle with one of these, I have no feel for what they're like when biking.

So I'm wondering what the gear ratios are like in a 3 speed hub, like what's 'high gear', 'low gear' and the one between like, and how they stack against, say, a gear cluster with a derailer. And are these ratios farily standard across brands? My daily bike tackles some pretty decent hills in traffic, and my 5 speed Phillips takes them without much problem, I guess I'm wondering if a 3 speed internal would compare?

Thanks all!

Not too much to add here other than I'm curious as to what other posters will respond. I just picked up a 3-speed bike 2 hours ago, neighbor kid goes junking on "big trash day" and knows to lookout for bikes for me and scored a 70's Huffy.
I remember my folks had a couple of 3-speeds when I was a kid. I recall shifting into top gear and it was like I was flying! Of course I was 12 at the time and was too used to freestyle bikes. :)

You'll miss the 5 speed. I like 3 speeds, and have 4 of them, different models, but I think you'll be searching for another gear as you ride the hills. It's mostly flat here in N Fla, so they work well here. If all you have is a 3 speed, you'll get used to it.

3-spds are usually 1:1 in second. You can adjust to suit your terrain somewhat through sprocket selection. The lower your gear, the closer the gears, and the higher, the further.

deorman said:
3-spds are usually 1:1 in second. You can adjust to suit your terrain somewhat through sprocket selection. The lower your gear, the closer the gears, and the higher, the further.
I agree on the sprocket selection. This is something that I would settle on with just excepting what was on the bike. On my Free Spirit Tall Bike I made this year has opened my eyes to gearing change. Three of my Tall Bikes have Shimano 3-speeds, one with the coaster brake. This Free Spirit had a different gearing set up due to the chainring and rear sprocket. This has reduced the gearing down to give me a lower range and a little more agreeable top gearing. I average about an easy 16mph on the bike trail this time of year on the bike and can sprint up to 23 on the flat. I can remain in the top gear longer where the wind and those haunting hills use to slow me down.

A lady on the bike trail riding along side of me on her out of the box racer once asked what was the advantage of the advantage of my Tall Bike with the 3-speed. I told her that she had more of a selection then I did (DUH) and that her gearing was her slave and that I was a slave to my gearing. I have to except the cadence that my gearing allows. I also told her that she had more money in her (tight fitting) riding shorts than I did in my Tall Bke where she quickly dropped some gears and moved on ahead. Oh Graylock you are such a smooth talker :wink:

They also say that you shouldn't stand up and wail on the cranks. I think this is why some of the mens 3-speed hubs that I find are broken. To sum it up you are just missing the in between gears. You will still get there!

Graylock

Latest posts

Back