3 speed nexus questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up an Electra Townie this morning. My plan is to swap the wheelset out with the single speed set on my Dyno Stretch cruiser. With that being said, what do I need to know before starting into this? I watched a video on Youtube showing how to remove the wheel/housing from the frame... which seemed straight forward enough. But it seems like I had read somewhere previously that this would work better if the shifter was in a certain gear before I remove the wheel? but... maybe I imagined that. Also, the shifter cable is going to be way to short to work on the stretch cruiser. Do I need a special cable, or is this going to be pretty straight forward as well? At this point I'm still pretty ignorant as to how all of this works... No idea how the cable is attached on either end. I've also considered using a "jockey" shifter mounted to the frame... which might eliminate the need for a longer cable... but still presents the new questions of "where to get a shifter" and how does it hook up? LoL! It also seems that I'd recently seen a post where someone reused the grip shifter mounted on the frame... still twisted to change the gears.

Am I asking to many questions?
Yes, I suppose I could just go out here and start taking all of this stuff apart and hope for the best... but I kinda want it to work properly again. :wink:

Thanks guys!

I don't know if I will answer all.
- remove the shifter box on the axle by using a allen wrench or a box wrench to loosen the set screw. Should not matter as to the gear.
- remove the shift rod from inside the axle, so it doesnt' fall out and get dirty or bent.
- Remove the wheel.

You can buy new generic shift cable and housing from any bike shop. Measure though as you might need a tandem cable for the Dyno Stretch.

To undo the shift cable from the shift box, remove the plastic cover with a philips screwdriver. Then you should be able to undo the cable with a 10mm wrench. When adjusting the cable tightness always make sure the yellow marker is between the 2 yellow lines in second gear.

there is a guy in the Burgh that put the Nexus shifter on the seat stem, just like it was a handlebar. Looks nice. Reach under the seat to shift

Kinda looks funny when your shifting though. I think Hooch was the first one I saw doing that trick with
the twist grip shifter on the seat post. Was a cool idea whoever came up with it.
Be careful when you tighten it back on the axle , it will strip really easy.
6.jpg

Latest posts

Back