33 years later

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I gave this bike to my wife when I was in the Navy, on a deployment on the U.S.S. Enterprise. I got it second hand in Alameda. It was a nice 24" Ventura 10 speed. Just her size, she was filipina. So it was transported to the Philippines on an Aircraft Carrier in 1982. Now I live here and my brother in law says he still has that bike and I can have it if I want it. 33 Years of use in the Philippines took it's toll, but it's that bike and the frame and forks look good. Loose bearings and cottered cranks again! I don't know if Ventura was low end or not, but it's a lugged frame. So now it's hanging up out back at my dirty kitchen until I decide what to do with it.

20idgua.jpg

Great story Barry. You could just paint it up and use it as an artistic memory.

It was a scaled down 10 speed. I searched online for a Ventura 10 speed and couldn't find any. It's probably a Japanese bike. The forks look like replacements the threads are way up past the head tube, but that's the same style of forks. I think I'll redo everything, paint it, add some bars I can reach easily, laid back seat post and ride it. The height of the frame is the same as a cruiser, about 18 inches. I have the old chain wheel from my folder that will go right on. Then have my bike guy lace up a couple of alloy 24" wheels or maybe 700c will fit. I have a SRAM freewheel 2 speed auto hub that would be just right. But I have the WBO to do first, maybe this will be my build off bike for the annual build.
awb8s0.jpg

I found one, and it's the same color but it's probably 26 or 27 inch. It isn't cottered so it's newer.

2ur4gmb.jpg

Latest posts

Back