'35 silverking ... kinda

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Stumbled across this frame last year while looking for an Indianhead fender ornament for my wife’s ’56 Hiawatha. Just thought it looked like the best frame ever. I finally decided to make the build my summer project. Then I found this site. Amazing.
Thought I’d keep you all up to date on the build.
IMG1782-XL.jpg

IMG1787-XL.jpg
debating on keeping this rusty stem to remind me of the original condition
IMG1790-XL.jpg

IMG1789-XL.jpg

yes i did find the indianhead
hiawatha.jpg

"There Duplicating!"? WelcomE to the SilVerKing Club! From "THe AluMiNaTi"....I take it yours is Not a Monark? the joint castings are different than my 36" Good Luck!!!!

so I was able to strip that red paint and give the frame some sanding to smooth out the aluminum a bit. 220 grit with my random orbit sander followed with 320 and 400 wet or dry by hand. took out some blemishes but I'm leaving the deep scars. don't want to remove all it's personality. this is no easy task . last sanding of 800 and 1200 wet or dry next. followed by the three stages of smoothing and buffing. did I say this is no easy task?
IMG1799-L.jpg

IMG1801-L.jpg

IMG1804-L.jpg

IMG1803-L.jpg

That frame is beautiful. Please keep the progress pictures coming!

i took a break from the frame for a bit. you're right no easy task. so I thought I'd clean up the seat I have back in the garage cabinet . I went with a simple spring seat, no chromed springs or crash bar . . just a simple sand and paint. the back rack arrived last week . so only waiting on chain guard and wheel set. more about wheel set later
IMG1812-M.jpg

IMG1815-M.jpg

IMG1819-M.jpg

IMG1820-M.jpg

IMG1821-M.jpg

The polishing is done on the frame. As you can see I did leave the big dings in but when it got to the point where I was worried about the scratches my soft worn out T shirt was leaving, I thought I could be done. Darn that soft aluminum. Also thought it time to drop down some parts that will compliment the frame. I was able to find an alloy sprocket that will sit upon my blackened crank. The pedals are perfect for those few blocks of a barefoot ride to the beach here in Venice. The rear rack has few parts that are with the handlebars at the plater’s right now. Still over a week before they’re out, but quality is worth waiting for. Then there's just a few stainless nuts and bolts to hold it together. As for the wheel set it will all be sitting on, I’m told, ‘they’re comin” Assembly, the fun part, should be soon. well, as soon as the wheelset comes in . It's hard to work on it atop a folding table.
IMG2517-L.jpg

IMG2511-L.jpg

IMG2513-L.jpg

IMG2512-L.jpg

IMG2524-XL.jpg

Well the polishing wasn't exactly quick . Didn't punch a time clock but probably close to 14 hours total. and i skimped on the tubes. Yes, much easier with the fork off . Found a bit of rust when the fork finally separated. The bearing set seemed to solidify to the head tube. Found a perfect fit nos set of bearings and cups and it now spins freely. the previous owner must've smacked into something head-on as the fork has a slight crook where the post goes into the fork. I'm a bit scared , probably just gunna leave it.
bearings-L.jpg

fork-XL.jpg

Latest posts

Back