36T vs. 44T sprocket

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I have a questions for you all. I have a Worksman cruiser which I have with a 3 speed coaster brake and I have a 44T sprocket. Would I have any benefits in pedaling if I drop to a 36T sprocket? What is the difference between having a 44T vs. 36T sprocket with a 3 speed bike, pro's/con's. Thanks to whoever answers my question.

I've tried many different combinations on gearing with a three speed. I always wound up wanting the ratio that wasn't there after I changed a sprocket. I've found it's best to leave it in a stock configuration, but 36 on the front with 18 on the rear will probably give you 2 low gears and one normal gear, and you might want a higher gear.

Wildcat said:
I've tried many different combinations on gearing with a three speed. I always wound up wanting the ratio that wasn't there after I changed a sprocket. I've found it's best to leave it in a stock configuration, but 36 on the front with 18 on the rear will probably give you 2 low gears and one normal gear, and you might want a higher gear.

Right now I have a 44t with a 22T cog. If I went with a 36t and kept the 22T cog what would be pro's/con's verse it I went with the 36/18 like you suggested. As you guys can tell I don't know much about bikes. Oh, any I idea how much my bike weighs, and any god Ideas that I can shed some weight on it.
Thanks guys.

Uncle, I thought his pics were awesome. Worksman seems to be getting some press lately as well. Don't forget to check out Bowery Lane Bicycles as well.

3spd coasters are notorious for thinner planetary gears than their back peddling cousins. A 36t will greatly increase the torque on the hub. So if you weight 250# and climb hills, you could over stress it. You will also feel more slop transitioning from forward to brake.

I however rarely keep a stock ratio, typical English ratio is 44/18, ugh!, knee death! I usually put a 22 or 23t on the hub.

44t in the front with 22t in the rear should give you a pretty good range for a regular 3 speed. You should have a 1st gear that is good for riding up hills, a 2nd gear good for cruising, and a high gear that might be just right for the weight of the bike.
Increasing the size of the drive (front) sprocket will make it harder to pedal, but will have a faster top speed if you have the leg power. Inversely, making the rear sprocket bigger makes it easier to pedal, but you won't go very fast. So, if you made them both bigger, you wouldn't change the ratio much. Same if you made them both smaller, same gear ratio or close to it.
If you have ridden the bike already and used all three gears, you should have an idea of where you might want changes.
If you want a little higher gearing, go with a 46 tooth drive sprocket. Or for lower gear , a 42t. 36t may be too much. The chain will probably need links added or taken out to fit with different size sprockets.

If it didn't already occur to you, changing a smaller sprocket by a tooth makes a much larger difference in gearing :wink: than on a large one. A bike may be able to take 2 or 3 sizes of gear w/a given chain length, or only one.

Wildcat said:
44t in the front with 22t in the rear should give you a pretty good range for a regular 3 speed. You should have a 1st gear that is good for riding up hills, a 2nd gear good for cruising, and a high gear that might be just right for the weight of the bike.
Increasing the size of the drive (front) sprocket will make it harder to pedal, but will have a faster top speed if you have the leg power. Inversely, making the rear sprocket bigger makes it easier to pedal, but you won't go very fast. So, if you made them both bigger, you wouldn't change the ratio much. Same if you made them both smaller, same gear ratio or close to it.
If you have ridden the bike already and used all three gears, you should have an idea of where you might want changes.
If you want a little higher gearing, go with a 46 tooth drive sprocket. Or for lower gear , a 42t. 36t may be too much. The chain will probably need links added or taken out to fit with different size sprockets.

I did some riding today and played alot with the gears on some small inclines/downhills, and flat roads. Like you said I think a 44T/22T give a pretty good range for my bike, so I think I'm gonna stick with it (I have pretty strong legs).

Hey, I notice alot of you guys ride w/o chain guards. Don't you pants get dirty w/o them? Also, should I lose the kickstand? Didn't use it MTB (obivous, safety hazard), barely use mine now. Later Skater.

XSk8Str8X said:
Hey, I notice alot of you guys ride w/o chain guards. Don't you pants get dirty w/o them? Later Skater.

I wax lube chains that are on no chain guard bikes.

Back