38 Rollfast - Strand Shark

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I think I'm going to call this bike the "Strand Shark". I think I can pull it off, it's all in the paint. :mrgreen:

Here is my inspiration.

gmfw1-2.jpg

One other item I forgot to post. I have been looking for a chainguard for quite a while. Had my eye on one that was on ebay a while back but someone bought it before payday came around. :mrgreen: Then one day this came up so I nabbed it. It's from a Shelby.

shelby_chainguard.jpg

Finally got the paint and got the wheels painted. Here they are laced up with tires mounted.
wheels10.jpg

Close-up showing the brass nipples. :mrgreen:
wheels11.jpg

Thanks! That's an awesome avatar, BTW. Hehehe.

I also want to give a BIG thanks to Hugo and his very cool article, How To Lace a Wheel. I hadn't ever done it. Then a couple of months ago, my dad needed to rebuild some wheels for one of his bikes. We ran across Hugo's article, read through it a couple of times and gave it a try - piece of cake! Now we do all of our wheels ourselves. (He's right, it is somewhat addictiing. :mrgreen: ) It is a true testiment to this great site and the wealth of knowledge that it being shared here. Thanks Hugo! And thanks Steve for putting together this awesome forum!

Rusty.

Dude Rusty, I know where one of these bikes are leaning against a trailer home about 5 miles from here. I see it every time I go into town and I never stop. Its been sitting there for the last year that I know of, maybe longer, with a set of blown out tubes draped over the bars and flat tires on the rims. Its got a nice thick layer of surface rust on the whole thing but it looks like its all there. I've kind of just been waiting for the right moment to stop and give the guy a few bucks to haul it off. I'll let you guys know if I ever get it. Would make a nice project I didn't have to build from scratch. LOL.

Later Travis

Grab that thing Travis! :mrgreen:

Did a quick mockup today to make sure everything is fitting. The tires are REAL close in the rear but they still fit (there is actually a little more clearance on the other side). I'll have to make sure that wheel stays nice and true. :D The bars are from a Dyno. I picked them up at the swap meet for $10. I'm thinking they look a little too big for the bike, so I may cut them back a bit.

mockup1.jpg

mockup2.jpg

mockup3.jpg

Looks like the chain will clear without any problem. It looks like the tire is touching the frame in the picture but there is actually about 1/16" of clearance. Not much but I just took it for a spin and it does not rub. I am pretty stoked with the way this bike rides! It is going to be a super bosso cruiser. :mrgreen:

mockup4.jpg

Nice offset, but it'll still spray the tire, even if it's only with rusty dust! Don't worry, even airplanes get dirty! :lol: It looks in the picture like you have room in the drop-outs to add a link. Wouldn't that help? Oops, :oops: no chain in that picture, but how about it?

i think you'll find that those tires are gonna rub as soon as you put some weight on them while traveling around corners.

my fat franks shift side to side when shifting my weight.i'd say more than an 1/8".
its just the nature of balloon tires. it wont matter how true the rim is, it will be the tire that moves.

deorman said:
Nice offset, but it'll still spray the tire, even if it's only with rusty dust! Don't worry, even airplanes get dirty! :lol:

LOL. In the modeling world, that's called weathering. :D

deorman said:
It looks in the picture like you have room in the drop-outs to add a link. Wouldn't that help? Oops, :oops: no chain in that picture, but how about it?

Believe it or not, when I tried the chain, it fit perfectly right where I had mounted the wheel. The chain stays do get wider toward the rear but moving the wheel back, say 1/4", would only gain me a tiny amount of clearance. I think the real problem might be the chainguard. If it rubs, I really don't want to cut it.

If I need to change the tires, I can always do that. It looks like the Felt Quick Bricks come in cream also and they are 2.125.

Thanks guys!
Rusty.

Rusty, Do you have a 4 1/2" grinder? Do you have any flapper discs that are really broken in and rounded off? Mark the area on the frame on either side of the tire that need relief and simply grind or massage the metal. If you happen to go through the steel, don't worry. You can use some light gauge sheet metal to make a patch and solder, braze or even epoxy them in place. You don't need to weld them in. All your trying to do is keep the moisture out. I do this to frames all the time.

If you do have a torch and welder, take your hack saw or Sawsall and make a blade width cut right at the place where the frame rubs the tire. Then heat the area around the cut and using a small ball peen hammer depress the frame at that point and using your torch fill the cut with solder, braze or weld filler rod. Grind or file it smooth and paint it! Give yourself about 3/16-1/4 inch clearance or you'll rub the frame clean of paint the first pot hole you hit. Wheels do move side to side after some time of riding, do yourself a favor and relieve the frame now instead of after you've got it painted.

Good luck, T

Back