3G Daytona- And My Bicycle Epiphany

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
So, I decided to attended the Larz Anderson swap/show yesterday purely for fun and not as a vendor or buyer. Its been a few years since Ive gone to a swap just to see the guys/gals and enjoy the day without the usual pre-dawn loading and travel that goes along with being a vendor or to be the first person there so as not to miss any early morning deals. Spent a few hours at the beautiful Larz Anderson Museum just soaking in the sun and walking around talking bike with some great people, then it hit me...do I even really RIDE bikes anymore? Do I even have a bike suitable to ride further than a couple of laps around the block? The answer to both was no! What started off as a way to get in shape for a few years back has turned into a hobby that has me owning some beautiful machines that Im proud to have but all the bikes that could serve the original purpose of getting in shape are gone. The reality is Ive gone in the opposite direction, Ive gained 40 lbs and my asthma is getting worse to the point that riding an old bike is not even really in the cards. So I decided right then and there I would by a bike to RIDE and hopefully get myself back on track to what this hobby was originally all about. And rather than just by the first functional hybrid/MT/road bike I saw I decide to go with something a little different!

2004ish? 3G Dayton. This bike is huge, very comfortable...and ugly as sin but rides awesome with the wide 26" tires and Nexus 3 speed. It sure is a head turner and I'll probably not see another while joyfully cruising the bike path and hopefully shedding a few pounds in the process. I'll still always collect prewar bicycles and do a ton of buying and selling (bought a few today!) but hopefully this bike will help me remember that bicycles are FUNCTIONAL art...to be ridden!

That's actually a Daytona and not Dayton. Very cool ride with the seat shock. It's a shame it didn't have the original handlebars, but still a wicked ride.
http://bikerodnkustom3.homestead.com/Silva_03.html
garysilva2.5.jpg

tp.gif

Is it alloy frame or steel? I agree it is ugly but it has potential, little rake, lengthen the forks, maybe some mags, different chain ring, do something with the seat to make it look more like an old Harley... it could be cool... Maybe.

Looks comfortable though.

Latest posts

Back