$400 6 person bicycle! I need HELP!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
So I can buy this for $400. Pretty nice except for 4 dryrott tires that hold air. You can buy the adzact same one brand new right now for $4500+250 shipping. I live 1/2 from the boardwalk in Huntington Beach and 3 miles from Newport Beach peninsula. I don't think I want it for my family but what's it worth to flip? I like to use the "buy stuff 10 cents on the dollar" rule which works perfect in this case, but it's still $400. My gut tells me no more than $250, but what if it's worth $800-1000? Any input would be really appreciated.
d90ea8441f56814d8b94d0dfe8539a72.jpg
8298127cb2440b6cd87b8a414ed21cdc.jpg
6908075935d6d9821254af1b3350b33b.jpg
cc274b2ebec1a5eee78eb3dbdac23c48.jpg
762363fc302806493d5f48eb6bb9baf7.jpg

It has the frame for a canopy but no cover at the moment. The wheels are crazy heavy duty, they look like motorcycle wheels really. The seat has minor sun damage. It rides and stops great. It's actually ready to use.

I know nothing about these, but your numbers and location say "No Brainer" to me. My rule is anytime you can double your money.. don't look back!

If spending the money won't put you seriously in the hole, I look at it this way: worst case scenario, can you get your $400 back out of it? Obviously you want to make a profit, but as long as you won't lose money why not take a chance? Even if you only get $500 out of it, that's still $100 of free money. But if you can't afford to sit on it until the weather breaks, then you might have to pass.

If spending the money won't put you seriously in the hole, I look at it this way: worst case scenario, can you get your $400 back out of it? Obviously you want to make a profit, but as long as you won't lose money why not take a chance? Even if you only get $500 out of it, that's still $100 of free money. But if you can't afford to sit on it until the weather breaks, then you might have to pass.
Great point, the money is a small issue. If I was flush with cash I would just grab it up, you are right.

There are a few on Bostons and maybe CT craigslist., mostly four seaters though at around 5-800

There are a few on Bostons and maybe CT craigslist., mostly four seaters though at around 5-800
OK cool that helps. I just called a local friend of mine and asked for his opinion. He said it has been on local cragslist for a while at $800. I tried to find the add but it is not there anymore. So I think it's $500-$600. I like my $250 number. I will let everyone know how it goes.

Worth getting if you can get it cheap and have a place to put it. Might take a while to move it on a flip. Little bit of a white elephant but it sure looks like fun.

Load it up with booze and beer and rent out booze excursions to see the sights. Start a business. It only has one real steering wheel so have a designated driver. Of course everyone has to pedal. Put in a 49cc motor to supplement when your passengers get too smashed to pedal. Advertise it as an adult urban alternative hay ride. Lots of potential to get rich here.

I'd get an electric motor out of a golf cart and mount on it. Considering where you live rental potential seems like it would make you some money back, too.:39:

No way that would be allowed on a golf course. Too heavy and thin tires.

I think it's got flip potential to a beach rental company, but that's a risk. If that dude wasn't able to sell it, you might be stuck with it. $250 sounds like a steal for you, but you're also taking the risk on board. Of course, you don't know what the owner has into it... but that isn't your problem. I often take a loss on parts just to move stuff.

To me that looks like a lot of "bike car" for $400..but $250 would be better. As someone that doesn't have a garage, I assume u have storage space for it?

I think it would be a good parade vehicle as well, as is or a themed float. Or club rides if youre into that.

Consider/think about: How long has seller had it, why is he selling it etc. I'd say the $400 is the go away price cause no one would buy it at 800-1000

Pretty neat ride.

I actually passed on one of those a couple years back at an estate auction, I think it sold for about 150-200, but not as much call for one in upstate NY.
If you have the 400 to invest, go see it, make a cash in hand offer, you never know..
I always like to look at flip bikes in partout terms, as a 'worst case' scenario. Am seeing on that 'bike' two good Klunker wheelsets at 100++ a set, plus incidentals,etc... at 200-250 you're into it for parts value, so try that first :)

Wow, all great feedback. I'm going to shoot him a call and politely offer $200. I know the guy a little and he already told me he paid $400 for it. I have also bought 9 bikes off him in the last 6 weeks that were all good profits for him (and me). So maybe this will be the one he takes a hit on? Who knows.

Latest posts

Back