5 Speed Typhoon Conversion - rear wheel fit question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Hello All!

I'm new to the site and have really learned a bunch already! I think I'm ready to tackle my first build. I want to convert a 1972 Typhoon to a 5 speed with derailleur. I'm going to be using some older mtn bike rims with 26X2.125 WW tires. The wheels fit in the dropouts with out much effort.
What I'm running into is that when I put the rear Mtn Bike wheel on the Typhoon frame, the wheel / tire is not centered in the frame. The gear cog makes it not symmetrical - meanining the hub and tire are not centered in the frame and the rear tire rubs one side of the frame. Do I need to install spacers on the axle (opposite the gear cog) to balance the space the gear cog takes up so the tire will be centered in the frame and not rub? Do the spacers need to equal what the gear cog takes up exactly or is it just a guesstimate on the spacers??

Also, will this additional "stretching" of the frame caused by adding the spacers casue problems? Any advice would be apprectiated.

Thanks,

RK

Hard to say without pics. You may need to "Dish" the wheel to fit the frame. Spacing may also work.

you might also run into problems mounting the brakes...if the fender mounts are "horizontal"

Markm said:
you might also run into problems mounting the brakes...if the fender mounts are "horizontal"

yup, the only typhoons that had brake mounts were the 3 speed deluxe's, only around a handful of years.

I convert most of my bikes to multispeed 5-10 or even 15-18 speed...living in hill country its a must !
as a general rule I have to cold stretch the frame,adjust cone spacing,redish the wheel and adjust crank shims.
Its a bit of a learning curve for first timers but after you have a couple under your belt it becomes easy.

"Somebody" made (weinneman?) a rear caliper adapter to put a caliper on using the vertical fender hole.The caliper mounts on the adapter in the usual way.

I've only ever seen ONE...on the 'bay.Once.

Thanks everyone - I actually have the brake adapter - so all set on that. Will have to research all of the recommnedations!

No pics, but a diagram.
HubSpacerQuestion.png

One other thing that may be an issue is that the bike originally had S-7 rims, which are slightly taller than standard 26" rims. It could cause problems lining up your brake shoes. Perhaps one of us has already dealt with that. ~Adam

Back