50's Locomotief

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace

Reaction score
Finally got my Locomotief back from a mate who borrowed it for way too long. Apparently he never put it inside so it has been weathered and seasoned beyond restauration. The chrome has bad pitting and the paint is pretty much gone:

3184440561_783f480d96_b.jpg

I managed to date the bike by the crancks, lugs and headbadge between '56 and '58, haven't located the framenumber yet...

3184445177_f3919eb589_b.jpg

I'm gonna strip it and and use Hamerite paint so it will look like this:

hamerslag.jpg

Not sure what to do about the chrome parts - replace or leave it all as is ?

hey dude! can't you go with the weathered look and just clean and clear coat?

i got a bad feeling when i thought of that cool old bike in a hamerite finish. almost like sacrilege.

just my 2cents...

I'm not sure yet. I do know the original lights are allready gone, the front wheel is not original, and the chainguard has cuts and will not be taken off easily without recking it completely, so as far as restauring to original goes it's quite a long way to go. Or I'll have to leave the chainguard on there, but that will make it hard to clean and clear coat, right ?

I do like the Hamerite paint effect though, I really dig that old machinery look. How about just painting the frame and leaving the pitted chrome parts as they are ?

For the frame number, try this: http://www.rijwiel.net/
He was the one who told me where to look for the frame number on my Union. Search for 'Fiets databank'.

And I would definitely ride it as it is. Put some Ballistol on the rust, find a matching wheel and lights, and let it tell it's own story.
You can get a new chainguard like that at MacBike, Marnixstraat 220, Amsterdam.

Thanks a lot C.S. I just located the framenumber.
# 409919 dates the frame at 1954, but according to http://www.rijwiel.net it was probably assembled and sold in a later year, which would match the other parts from 1956.

I'll ponder about what to do a bit longer...I know I need to take it apart to do some checking and do maintenance on all bearings and such, as it's pretty wobbly at the moment. But at least it's got the original bell I just noticed (and would love to get my hands on an original crossframe Locomotief like the emblem shows):

3187429955_56cbe7941d_b.jpg

Big thanks also for the MacBike hint !
I just pulled the cover off the chainguard and it completely disintegrated in my hands...

This nightshift I disassembled the bike to bits, all bearings turned out to be severely damaged. Unfortunately the fenders were rusted through beyond repair, had to toss them aside as scrap metal, and the paint is too far gone, so I'm going to replace the needed parts and repaint it. To be continued.

Sorry it took so long, but it wasn't easy to replace certain parts. Did manage to find a NOS crankaxle including bearings after a long search :D
Original colourscheme was to duplicate traditional locomotives like this one:

Ambarawa_locomotief.jpg

I sandblasted the frame, replaced grips, crankaxle and headlight, and rattlecanned the lot.
Tried Hammerite, but didn't get the desired effect and changed my mind to antracite grey.
Here's an in between shot:

3926843444_c8cfee1aeb_b.jpg

Idea was to put some red tires on it, but I wasn't able to find skinny reds....so I changed plan to red wheels/black tires.
Here it is in nearly completed state:

4028549467_5884ac0995_b.jpg

I dig that headlight 8)

4028549615_7d9c3edd22_b.jpg

All that's left is to find a small rearlight, and 2 very small reflectors, to make that triangle of lights typical to loc's.
All I did find so far were massive lights and reflectors, safety rules these days but I want tiny lights on this one :lol:

Great looking bike. Vast improvement!

Thanks C.S.! Allthough I did score a small and old rearlight yesterday, it doesn't really fit well, so I might take you up on your offer soon.
Managed to find some small reflectors on ePay last week:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWNX%3AIT

Including p&p that's 7 euro from the States to Holland for 4 of them, gotta laugh at exchangerates at the moment.
For us it's custommer's ball right now, but who's ordering from Europe :?

bigj said:
Great looking bike. Vast improvement!

Thanks, it's my first bike I pulled apart and rebuilt from scratch.
Ran into some things that took longer than expected, being a 1954 bike, but it's been a very good learning experience.
Makes me understand a little bit more what people on this forum are talking about as well :mrgreen:
At least and at last it's rideable again, it was in a pretty sore state.

Real nice, my family likes anything has to do with trains and that was cool bell with the train & bike on it.

Back