51 Schwinn garage hanger

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just was given this, according to serial number and the original owner, 51 Schwinn straight bar.
20170120_093143.jpg

He was given it for Christmas in 1951 when he was 9. He lived on a farm and he and the bike had went through everything together. It has some mismatched parts, which he explained. The fenders look as though they went through heck and back together.
20170120_093514.jpg

I had promised him that I would keep it, enjoy it and ride it. I'm planing to clean it up, polish the chrome, rebuild the hubs and bottom bracket, mount some new rubber and ride the wheels off.
20170120_093220.jpg

My first Schwinn, I will need to locate a rusty rear rack for my lunch bucket and I think that will be about it.
Which color tires would make it look the best? Cream, Brick, whitewall or black?
Thanks for looking

Looks like a standard. I like your plan for it. Maybe a couple coats of clear after you clean it up would look good too.
1952_04.jpg

Just like I like to find them , classic cruiser ,I'd throw on some black tread too keep the look,,
Curious lookin Chain ring.

That is my plan Wildcat, and I'd say you're correct about the standard. Thank you for the catalog page! A.S.Bolt the chain ring was one he took off of another bike "so it would pedal easier". I would like to put a sweetheart ring back on it.

20170205_101801.jpg
It's getting there. Knocked out some of the dents and spent a lot of time cleaning. Opted for the cream tires, sorry but I love the way they looked on it. They are on the way. Scrounging through the parts for a head badge, sweetheart sprocket and a wedge for my stem. It's coming along though. I talked with the original owner the other day again. He certainly has some wonderful memories on this bike!

Thanks for sharing, great story , cool bike ,
That's what it's all about .

Rafael

Looking good, would you sell that OG seat that was on it?

Latest posts

Back