'63 Schwinn Typhoon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I knew one day I would find just the right old Schwinn. While I love looking at pictures or seeing in person well preserved or restored specimens, I knew that I needed something a little ratty.

This '63 Typhoon popped up on craigslist this evening. The guy didn't live far. I went to check it out. From the photo, I knew the guy already had gone for a bit of a ratty look. I could tell the rims, handlebars, stem, and saddle weren't original. That is basically how he bought it 20 years ago other than adding the black bars and wrapping the stem with electrical tape to black it out.

What it had on it was an entirely new front wheel with a generic alloy hub and black Araya alloy rim. The spoke lacing is interesting in that it is directional. The rear wheel has the same rim and spoke lacing, but looks to have the original or a period correct Bendix Red Band coaster.

It also has an Odyssey bmx crank and Tioga bottom bracket with what appears to be a Schwinn Mag chainwheel. Not sure if this is original to 1963 and it looks a little smaller (fewer teeth) than what I am used to seeing. The gearing is actually just about right on this for easy cruisin'.

DSCN1819.jpg

I will be playing around with this, so keep an eye out in the builds section. I haven't decided whether to throw some apes on it or strip the fenders/chainguard and put some bmx bars on it. I am leaning to the former because I dig the fenders and chain guard and feel like a bmx style bike would require me to spend more money on things like tires. I do know that it will be getting a layback seatpost to give my long legged 6'1" self some more room.

What I am not going to do is make any attempt to remove rust or shine anything up because that patina is what makes the bike genuine. A little cleaning to get off the dust and cobwebs is all she needs. I am going to try to use older or used parts wherever I can. The monthly bike swap meet is coming up in 2-1/2 weeks, so that should be a great place to score some goodies. The goal is to have around $100 in the entire build when I am done.

tin machine said:
cool score there , my first vintage bike score was a 1963 schwinn typhoon black with white fenders had a wore out brooks seat on it and !!! man was I proud of that bike :!: I feel ya man 8)

Sounds familiar.

the one that got me re-hooked on bikes , after 20+ year absence, was a very simial , black , painted fenders, white painted S7 ,2 speed kickback 64 Typhoon - still have it, never finished it ( yet) .

will be watchin this one, too.

Latest posts

Back