'64 American

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice score. Coppertone! That color was only available 63-67. And the original S7 rims are there too. The rack probably came with it.. The Schwinn chrome and paint was very good. It might polish up nicely even though the fenders look rusted through the chrome. Maybe not though, but the patina will look great too. The lettering on the bike will rub off if you're not careful.

Nice score. Coppertone! That color was only available 63-67. And the original S7 rims are there too. The rack probably came with it.. The Schwinn chrome and paint was very good. It might polish up nicely even though the fenders look rusted through the chrome. Maybe not though, but the patina will look great too. The lettering on the bike will rub off if you're not careful.
Thanks! Any tips on cleaning it?

I cleaned up a black 64 American for a lady in ND. It was her late husband's bike and looked pretty worn but the paint and chrome came back and looked great. I used very fine steel wool (0000) and wd-40 on the chrome and used a plastic pot scrubber sponge and dish soap to clean the paint. Then I waxed down the bike twice to really bring out the color. I used regular paste car wax. I've had 2 coppertone Schwinns that I cleaned up the same way. This 65 Continental came from a scrap yard and I didn't think the color would come back as well as it did.
18hic8.jpg

I cleaned up a black 64 American for a lady in ND. It was her late husband's bike and looked pretty worn but the paint and chrome came back and looked great. I used very fine steel wool (0000) and wd-40 on the chrome and used a plastic pot scrubber sponge and dish soap to clean the paint. Then I waxed down the bike twice to really bring out the color. I used regular paste car wax. I've had 2 coppertone Schwinns that I cleaned up the same way. This 65 Continental came from a scrap yard and I didn't think the color would come back as well as it did.
18hic8.jpg
Thanks!! I know what I'm doing this weekend now!

Latest posts

Back